Navision TempFilePath parameter

I’ve tried launching Navision Financials Client with the TempFilePath parameter but it doesn’t work??

Please Help…

My command line looks like this : fin id=test.zup, nettype=tcp, TempFilePath=h:\

“Temppath” works much better.

We run NF on an Citrix MF1.8 I have a SUBST command running in my logon script substituting the temp catalog to v:\temp a shared directory this has solved the problem on MF v1.8

On Citrix or Windows Terminal Server, each user should run with their own ZUP file in order to save window settings, last record, filters, etc. If you don’t do this, users can become very confused when some one else’s filters are used when a Navision window is opened. Each user can be given their own Zup file by launching Navision with a shortcut target like “FIN ID=%username%”. This assumes that each user will login to NT with their own user name. It is best for each user to have their own temp directory. This can be easily accomplished by editing the ZUP file the first time the user logs into Navision. You do this with the menu selection Tools and then Options. Set the TempFilePath to something like “X:\TEMP\USER1”. I suggest making USER1 the same as the username. (You need to create this directory with the appropriate permissions first.) After you make this change, make sure you click OK. A common error is to push escape to close the option window, which does not save the change. (One of the few places in Navision where this is true.) If you do not set the TempFilePath the first time, the user will not be able to log into Navision again. You need to delete the user’s zup file in order to get back into Navision. The happens because when the TempFilePath is blank, Navision uses the environment TEMP variable and saves it in the zup file. Since Citrix/Terminal Server assigns a new Temp Directory each time a user logs on, the last temp directory will not be accessible to the user on the next login. This prevents Navision from starting. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/4/00 11:38:37 PM

You’re absolutely right about the zup-files jim. The temp files though, we have no problem at all with storing them in the same directory for all users. So just sett the command line parameter TEMPPATH to something like c:\temp and make sure every user has suffucient priveligies on that directory.

Lars, In theory you COULD have a problem. That is why CITRIX/Terminal Server creates a different temp directory for each user. I just prefer to follow preventive practices. I don’t like support calls that could have been prevented. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/5/00 11:31:42 PM

Hi again Jim. We do this at several installations with no problem Rgds //Lars

Lars, I don’t think you would have a problem with your solution as long as all the software installed is properly written, but I’ve seen developers get sloppy with temporary file allocation… Assuming this mild risk might be preferable since the setup that you suggest is a little easier. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/6/00 5:06:56 PM

Best Navision Financials short cut target for Citrix and Terminal Server: “X:\Program Directory\FIN.EXE ID=%username%,TempFile=%temp%” Use the appropriate drive and program directory for your installation. Each user should log into NT with their own user name. This above line will ensure that each user has their own ZUP file. Since Citrix/Terminal Service dynamically creates a unique temp directory for each user, setting TempFile=%temp% tells Navision to use the current unique temp directory.If you don’t supply this parameter, Navision will attempt to use the last temp directory which is probably no longer accessible. This solution eliminates the need to edit the Options as previously recommended. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/14/00 3:43:17 AM

Hi Jim This won’t work since the client always checks that the path thats in the zup exists. This generates an error message and after OK the path stated in the command line is used. This is a bug that is reported to Navision and will be corrected in future a release. Edited by - Lars Westman on 6/14/00 11:49:15 AM

Lars, It works fine in the versions I tested. What version of Navision are you using? I’d like to try and duplicate your problem. Jim. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/14/00 4:56:40 PM

2.50 has this problem

Hi, It happens that I installed a version of Navision Financials 2.01 BE (multilingual) on a Citrix MF 1.08. I used the following command in my shortcut in order to use the tempory subdirectory that is created by MF at each logon as Navision temporary subdirectory: “M:\Program Files\Navision Financials\fin.exe” ID=%UserName%,NetType=Tcp,TempPath=%Temp%\ I confirm that - During the first logon of a user on the MF, everythings works just fine. - During the subsequent logons on the MF, the user will get an error message like “The operating system cannot find the drive and directory specified for the file M:\TEMP\3f_Temp_.*. Please check that the drive, directory and file names are correct.”. (M:\TEMP\3f\ is in fact the temporary subdirectory that was created by MF during the previous logon of the user). When the user clicks on Ok, Navision opens correctly. If you go to look at the Tools\Options, you’ll find out that it uses the new temporary directory that was created and passed as a parameter using the %temp%. So I would not say it doesn’t work. It does work but not as perfectly as would like it to work… If someone knows in which version this problem was solved, let me know…

Lars and JCL, I can’t duplicate your problem. Here is what I did… 1) Edit shortcut properties: Target: T:\Fin2.01\FIN.EXE ID=%username,TempPath=%temp% Start in: T:\FIN2.01 Shortcut Key: None Run: Normal Window 2) Close shortcut properties. Double Click on it. Navision opens. Asks for user/password. No extra error message. 3) Enter user/password. Main menu opens. Open option file and write down current temp directory. S:\TEMP\a. 4) Exit Navision. Log out of NT. 5) Reconnect. Log in. Check to see if S:\TEMP\a exists. It does not. 6) Double Click on Navison Short Cut. Main menu opens. Asks for user/password. No errors. Enter user/password. Main Menu opens. Check in options file. Temp is now S:\TEMP\b. I repeated this test with version 2.5 and 2.01. I remotely connected to NT Terminal Services over a modem for these tests. I logged into NT with a user that was in the Domain Admins group. I am using the US versions. Perhaps this only happens with MetaFrame installed on the service, but that seems rather unlikely. Perhaps it only happens if the user is not an Admin. Perhaps the US version does not have this problem, but I thought the EXE version/DLLs were the same worldwide for comparable versions. Any ideas? I’d like to duplicate the problem. If you think it needs MetaFrame in order to fail, I can test that when I get back to the office. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/15/00 6:31:49 AM

Hi Jim, Today I reproduced the problem on a Navision Financial Version BE 2.01.A even without using the Citrix MF. Here is how I did it. In my C:\Temp, I created 2 subdirectories - C:\Temp\DirA - C:\Temp\DirB I also created 2 shortcuts allowing to launch Navision with the following commands - (Shortcut 1) : “C:\Program Files\Navision Financials\Fin.exe” ID=JCTEST,TEMPPATH=C:\Temp\DirA\ - (Shortcut 2) : “C:\Program Files\Navision Financials\Fin.exe” ID=JCTEST,TEMPPATH=C:\Temp\DirB\ At the beginning, DirA, DirB are empty, JCTEST.zup does not exist. When I click on (Shortcut 1), - Navision is launched - JCTEST.zup is created in “C:\Program Files\Navision Financials” - a file called temp.lk5 appears in C:\Temp\DirA. I then open a Cronus Database through the Database/Open menu. I then close the Navision. C:\Temp\DirA is emptied… I then click on (Shortcut 2), If C:\Temp\DirA still exists, I have no problem. A File called _temp_jsm appears in C:\Temp\DirB. If between the time I stopped my Navision launched with (Shortcut 1) and the time I restart the Navision using (Shortcut 2) I delete subdir C:\Temp\DirA or rename it, I get the following message: "The operating system cannot find the drive and directory specified for the file C:\Temp\DirA_Temp.*. Please check that the drive, directory and files names are correct". Click on [Ok], Navision starts and works just fine with C:\Temp\DirB as default temporary directory… For your information, I logged with a user that is an administrator on the NT workstation. Try it and tell me if you can reproduce it.

I have repeated your test with Version 2.5 and can not reproduce the problem. My FIN.EXE file has 3,320,320 bytes and is dated 11/12/99 3:47:14AM. Lars said the problem still exists on 2.5 so I started the test with that version. I ran out of time, so I’ll have to try 2.01 later. Maybe we can do a NetMeeting and you could try it on our server yourself. I think I’m doing exactly the same thing you are, but maybe I’m still missing something. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/15/00 12:44:52 PM

Lars is both right and wrong. Contrary to what he said, the advice I gave on 6/14 should work. It does not work in the way that I thought it would, but it should still work, at least on NT4 based systems. Lars is correct that there is a bug in Navision that checks the old TempPath in the ZUP file before it looks at the TempPath parameter. The bug is a little strange in that it works differently depending on whether the TempPath value ends in a backslash. If there is not a backslash, the temporary files go in the parent directory with extra text inserted in front of the filename. For example, if the TempPath is set to C:\TEMP\28, the actual temporary files go into C:\TEMP\ and all the temp files will start with “28”. Citrix/Terminal Services appears to take the normal temporary directory and create a unique subdirectory for each login. The TEMP environmental variable will hold the path to this subdirectory without a terminating backslash. In order for the suggested shortcut “FIN ID=%username%,TempPath=%temp%” to work, all users would need to have permission to the system’s default temporary directory. This appears to be the default state. Note: This temppath assignment may work differently with Windows 2000. If the ZUP file contains a path ending in a backslash, the first time you try this advice you should get an error message. But on later logins, you should not. Can anyone else test this and verify my conclusions? I did all my testing on versions 2.01 and 2.5. Jim Hollcraft aka Skater drilldot.com Unauthorized Navision News Link Edited by - Jim Hollcraft on 6/19/00 10:00:50 PM