Navision "Talking" to Oracle - To what extent?

Hey guys I hope you dont wonder why am up to this kind of thing these days, and I keep coming back with very similar needs! It’s just that I want to hear from a broad spectrum of users, and people who have real live experience, and yes, what are groups for? Of cours I know Navision is an Open system, and Oracle is one too. Through SQL Server, they should be able to exchange information. (?) What I cannot do is to smartly articulate how this happens and the limitations thereof. Let’s picture an organisation that for some reason has to run an Oracle system (say in one of the divisions) and a Navision system in another. Management have to reconcile the two systems in all possible means, almost seemlessly! Can some one out there just kind of outline for me to which extent this can be possible. I know you may want a specific explanation of what they want to do with both systems, but that is one thing whose details I dont have yet. At the moment it is just to know that nothing will be lost for management as they would have to look at both systems for information, and that this shall not necessarily be a hassle of a kind. OK what then should they be ready for? Any suprises? Any pre-requisites? Any thing on Equipment? Thanks, Robert

Hello Robert, as you cna read in other topics it is possible via ODBC, with the usual problemas that Navision ODBC has… you might simply search for Oracle or start with the following topics: http://www.mbsonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1168 http://www.mbsonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=746 http://www.mbsonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5860 Saludos Nils

Steve (Weaver), You want to answer this? [;)] I think you have the answer for this question, right? [:D]

It depends firstly on weather you choose the SQL option or the Navision Server option. Then it depends on where the integration should be - should Navision know about Oracle or should there be another task running outside Navision that needs to integrate? With the Navision Server option you will need to utilize a client-side API from C/AL (such as ADO) if Navision is to handle the integration, i.e. if Navsion is to read/write Oracle data from the client. Navision can of course already read Navision Server data. If the integration should be done externally, then it will need both an API to Oracle (again, ADO or ODBC for Oracle), and also an API to Navision data, such as ADO to C/ODBC, or C/FRONT. With the SQL option there are more server-side possibilities and less integration needed on the client side. If Navision is to handle the integration it can read/write Oracle tables directly as though it were its own native tables, by setting up a LinkedObject to a SQL Server View. The View is based on a ‘Linked Server’ into an Oracle table. From Navision you then have direct access to both the SQL Server tables and the Oracle tables. If the integration should be done externally, then the API’s are ADO/ODBC to SQL Server and ADO/ODBC to Oracle.

Thanks fopr the help all you guys, especially Robert. Now Robert I have looked at the situation and this is what I make out of it. The situation at hand is such that SQL Server will run in the windows environment whereas the Oracle server/system will not be in a windows environment. That means that only option among those you have given me is to do an external intergration using ADO/ODBC to SQL Server and ADO/ODBC to Oracle. I don’t have experience with ADO, but I know that ODBC is slow with Navision, but that is then sorted with the use of SQL Server. My question is the Oracle side where am compeletely green. How swift is this connection? How easily is the scenario of using ADO complicated by requirements, and how easy is it to deal wit these ActiveX Data Objects? Thanks Robert Mutyaba

Robert : You can also check http://www.databackbone.com/ I have heard that their Navision MiddleWare is pretty good.

The ODBC/ADO interfaces to Oracle are efficient and should cause no performance problems. Oracle’s own OCI interface is optimal, but not standard. ADO and ODBC are nearly always working exactly the same with the server and so speed is comparable between them, but ADO is a more feature rich API which can take away some programming burden. I don’t understand what you say about Oracle being in another environment. Assuming your Oracle server is running under a Unix operating system for example, the OLEDB provider that will link to it from a SQL Server will function correctly weather Oracle is running under windows or not. In the same way, you can run Attain against Navision Server on Windows or Unix - it doesn’t affect the connectivity. So you are still able to integrate within Navision in the scenario I descibed if you like.

Thank you guys, all of you! [:D}