Navision performance troubleshooting

Navision 2.6. Dual 1GHz PIII w/ 2GB of RAM (ProLiant ML370) OS - RAID 1, 2 x 9.1GB 15KRpm SCSI Disks (2.5GB Free) DB - RAID 5 Array w/ 4 x 18GB 15KRpm SCSI Disks (15GB Free) Database Cache = 200MB Data File Size = 390MB % Data File Used = 53% Windows Server 2003 Member Server 1GB Full-Duplex NIC to GBIC This server also serves as File/Print, and hosts a MSSQL Development Database which is idle most of the time. This appears to be the only application that is sluggish, and the server has abundant free RAM & CPU Cycles. Only 3-4 concurrent users in Navision and they complain that the posting process is slow. Is there something in Navision I should look at to boost the performance? We’ve increased the DB Cache from 50 to 200MB but it doesn’t seem to have had an impact on performance. Thanks. Patrick Rouse Microsoft MVP - Terminal Server www.workthin.com

Most important: Never a database on RAID 5, no matter what DBMS. Start by switching to RAID 1 and You’ll gain a lot performance. But first of all. Do some searching on this forum för RAID. You will have a lot to read.[:D]

Do also enable commit-cache, but only after having completed Lars’ guidelines.

Someone from MSFT gave me this advice, and told me to see an attached document, but none was included. Can someone translate what she’s talking about? ******************* The problem is likely to be in the Navision C/AL code (codeunits 12, 80 or 90). You need to know if the standard posting process has been customised. Please review the last section of the attached document. *********************

quote:

Originally posted by Lars Westman
Most important: Never a database on RAID 5, no matter what DBMS. Start by switching to RAID 1 and You’ll gain a lot performance. But first of all. Do some searching on this forum för RAID. You will have a lot to read.[:D]

Update. I did some testing creating 250MB files on both the RAID5 & RAID1 arrays and the file create process was about 3 - 3.5 times faster on the RAID1 Array (10 seconds compared to 35 seconds). I’ve moved the DB to a RAID1 Array and it seems to be behaving nicely. Thanks for the help.

quote:

Originally posted by pcrouse
Someone from MSFT gave me this advice, and told me to see an attached document, but none was included. Can someone translate what she’s talking about? ******************* The problem is likely to be in the Navision C/AL code (codeunits 12, 80 or 90). You need to know if the standard posting process has been customised. Please review the last section of the attached document. *********************

quote:

Originally posted by Lars Westman