Navision Manufacturing...

I saw an old post related to manufacturing and is still open. Can someone reply to the questions raised in that post:

Dear All experts,
I would like to ask you and pls don’t give me the floating answer, I mean if it is
possible,
the answers are based on experience but still relates to theoritical aspects.
My questions are sequenching as follows:

1. Machine / Work center
    I have some machines that operate serial If the machines operates 24 hours - 7 days to produce products, how to set run time, wait time, move time etc in the routing contains the machines ? My machines also have operating conditions set up like flowrate, temperature and pressures, and the output will be depends on the set up and fluctuations. I want to know also about how to set the maintenance, overhaul, or estimated sudden break down of the machines and then the production can know to control its equipment operation and know production capacity in terms of quantity unit of measure.
  2. Item grades
    I want to ask you about the set up of one item in the item card that purchased from more than one supplier with different grade rate (quality rate) and the prices are different one another ? Do I need to create more than one item card ?
    3 Tracing the output of every machines and unit cost and machine cost
    I also want to know about tracing of output from every operation sequence in production of one item so that I can know whether my expected output will be as same as actual output and if not same, I will know in what machines or equipment the actual output begin not same as expected or planned output, meanwhile my machines operate 24 hours a day, do I need to use item tracking and lot no. with serial no. ?
  3. Creating bill of materials
    I want to know whether I have to make some changes/customizings for example
    product name = flour (solid powder)
    raw materials = wheat flour grade A, grade B
    raw materials contents = 10% water, 2% other mixed organics compounds, 88% flour (grd A) raw materials contents = 15%water, 5% other mixed organics compounds, 80% flour (grd B)
    for example based on plant experiences, 1 lbs flour needs 1.5 wheat flour grade A and mixed with 0.5 lbs wheat flour grade B will processed in an liquid-solid extractor, and the final output 0.9 lbs of 99.99% flour (powder). how to set it in the BOM ? Do I have to fill 0.88 lb wheat flour A but not 1.5 lb and 0.8 lbs wheat flour grade B but not 0.5 lb so that I can use MRP effectively and can buy the raw materials. Do I need to make customisation ? because in Navision standard the examples are only bicycle, furnitures, computers and sheet metal.
  4. I want to know about Def. Gen. Product Posting Group, I see in Navision W14.00.01, in which there are retail, raw material, service, manufacturing, etc. but if my product sell to other manufacturing company as a raw material, what do I have to write ? is it still retail ? If I change the retail to be food ingredients, what else that have to be changed ?
  5. Expiration of raw materials & product
    There are expire date of my products and raw materials, where do I have to write the dates? in the expiration calculation field on tab item tracking in the item card or warranty date formula field on tab Misc. in the item tracking card ?

Thanks…

1. Machine / Work center
    I have some machines that operate serial If the machines operates 24 hours - 7 days to produce products, how to set run time, wait time, move time etc in the routing contains the machines ?

These times relate to the product, so if the run time of the product through the work centre is an hour, it is an hour, if it takes time to wait and move these are then set into the route to define the lead time of the item. The reason they exist on the machine centre is for commonality of approach, where the time is machine not product driven, if you enter them here they appear by default on the route when the machine centre is picked, but you can change them.

My machines also have operating conditions set up like flowrate, temperature and pressures, and the output will be depends on the set up and fluctuations.

Not standard to Navision, you will need to modify the system.

I want to know also about how to set the maintenance, overhaul, or estimated sudden break down of the machines and then the production can know to control its equipment operation and know production capacity in terms of quantity unit of measure.

You have to manually alter the capacity calendar against the workcentre or machine centre to reduce the available capacity. You can enter this as an absence and a description of maintenance.

This is far too large a post to answer in one go - more later.

As a matter of interest which forum was the unanswered post in, can you please post me the link?

1. Item grades
    I want to ask you about the set up of one item in the item card that purchased from more than one supplier with different grade rate (quality rate) and the prices are different one another ? Do I need to create more than one item card ?

The difficulty here is the grade. Purchasing from different suppliers and prices is not an issue. I would say that if you are not writing a modification to capture grade information that flows through everything, then create a separate item number. There could be an argument for variants, but this approach has limitations, drawbacks and issues that you may encounter depending upon the full needs. I would be clean and have a new grade of an item a new item and incorporate it into the numbering of the item. This is not the best approach, but is probably the cleanest for you.

3 Tracing the output of every machines and unit cost and machine cost
I also want to know about tracing of output from every operation sequence in production of one item so that I can know whether my expected output will be as same as actual output and if not same, I will know in what machines or equipment the actual output begin not same as expected or planned output, meanwhile my machines operate 24 hours a day, do I need to use item tracking and lot no. with serial no. ?

There are a couple of reports, but not from “every” operation, what you would need to do is expand on the reports offered. The capacity task list looks at the actual routing, whilst the Production Order Statistics looks at expected and actual but on a broken down cost basis, not an operation basis as you want. Essentially you need to write the specific report you want.

No idea why you believe item tracking has anything to do with operating 24 hours, makes no sense to me, the setting is item related and bears no relevance to the capacity or availability of a work or machine centre.

1. Creating bill of materials
    I want to know whether I have to make some changes/customizings for example
    product name = flour (solid powder)
    raw materials = wheat flour grade A, grade B
    raw materials contents = 10% water, 2% other mixed organics compounds, 88% flour (grd A) raw materials contents = 15%water, 5% other mixed organics compounds, 80% flour (grd B)
    for example based on plant experiences, 1 lbs flour needs 1.5 wheat flour grade A and mixed with 0.5 lbs wheat flour grade B will processed in an liquid-solid extractor, and the final output 0.9 lbs of 99.99% flour (powder). how to set it in the BOM ? Do I have to fill 0.88 lb wheat flour A but not 1.5 lb and 0.8 lbs wheat flour grade B but not 0.5 lb so that I can use MRP effectively and can buy the raw materials. Do I need to make customisation ? because in Navision standard the examples are only bicycle, furnitures, computers and sheet metal.

Reacting to the earlier question on grades let us propose you have set these up as different items. It then flows that raw material settings are driven by the percentages per lb. However this is a market area where add-ons like the process manfacturing option Process 800 and some specific food industry add-ons have been created to cater for the creation of recipes, and probably grades, so I would start looking in the specific industry solutions first, before encountering a whole host of issues. Ultimately if you want to use MRP and test this the BOM must consist of what is required to make the product, so your 1lb of flour requires 1.5lb of Flour (A) and 0.5lb of Flour (B) (presumably from what you have said, but it is difficult to extrapolate.

1. I want to know about Def. Gen. Product Posting Group, I see in Navision W14.00.01, in which there are retail, raw material, service, manufacturing, etc. but if my product sell to other manufacturing company as a raw material, what do I have to write ? is it still retail ? If I change the retail to be food ingredients, what else that have to be changed ?

The default general product posting group works in conjunction with the business posting groups to push transactions into the general ledger. This is a fundamental area where you have to understand what happens to enable you to know what is happening. The definitions in Cronus relate to Cronus, how you define your products is up to you, this can be from a reporting or GL integration or both perspective. How would you define a product you sell as retail to one customer and raw material depends upon how you also define your customers, your manufacturer could be flagged in one way, your customer another, so the sales appear how you want them to in the GL, your one consideration is then reporting, so perhaps have a category for these items. The choice is up to you. If you change retail to food ingredients you need to do nothing, although your GL will not make much sense.

1. Expiration of raw materials & product
    There are expire date of my products and raw materials, where do I have to write the dates? in the expiration calculation field on tab item tracking in the item card or warranty date formula field on tab Misc. in the item tracking card ?

If you item track the item and define a formula for the code then the expiry and warranty dates will be set for you depending upon your configuration, although this area is not very good in pre5, no idea if changes have been made in this area, but I think FEFO is in use so they will have changed this.