Navision Financials Server at 100% CPU Usage?

Completely out of the 100% CPU usage topic, but still… Alfonso, I have reasessed your elegant solution to the report usage analysis “sub-topic”: Your suggested elegant code in CU 1 gets triggered merely by a user choosing a report from a report menu. So if you by mistake click a report, and then Esc out of it, the action will be registered. I think I still prefer adding some code in the pre report trigger… Best regards Pelle

Folks For what it is worth we have seen the 100% CPU problem and there is another posting on this forum from a month or two back on this problem. To summarise : The following registry entries on the NT database server are relevant to Database cache on an NT server with C/Side database and I have not seen them officially documented anywhere - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services<yournavisionservername> with these values - Cache Reg_DWORD - memory cache size in K bytes CommitCache Reg_DWORD - 0=No, 1=Yes These values can be changed with Regedt32 and then a simple Navision service Stop/Start makes the changes active. What we have found is that the value set in Cache should NOT be more than 50% of physical memory, but certainly the amount of memory available to NT (physical RAM - Navision Cache) must be => 128M. With these parameters in mind we no longer have any 100% CPU problems. I strongly recommend setting the CommitCache to ‘1’ for performance reasons, but only if the NT server has a UPS. In the other related discussion another user has done some investigation which strongly suggest a problem with Navision Server if NT EVER tries to swap any part of the Cache memory allocation for Navision server. I tend to agree with this prognosis.

Hi Peter, what you say is quite correct, BUT… Firstly it is not that Navision needs “50%” of the available ram. If you had 1Gig of RAM (As most installations do these days,) you don’t need to allocate 500M to NT. But I agree that NT normally needs between 64 M and 128 M Firstly, the best (imho) procedure is to install everything, then monitor exactly haow much Free ram you still have. Eg if you have 500M of ram, then set a cache of say 200M, get everything running that you are ever likely to run, then look at Task Manager, and see how much RAM is available, allow about 20 Meg or so free, and the rest you can add to your cache. This is all just "rule of thumb stuff, but after the first 40 or 50 installs it becomes second nature. An experienced Navisioner can normally calculate the amount of cache as a function of the wind direction, relative humidity, etc. Secondly you shouldn’t (and there is no reason to normally) modify Navision Server parameters through RegEdit. And I strongly recommend that anyone that is not familiar with RegEdit does not attempt this don’t try this at home. You can change the parameters from NT Services, just stop the service, type in the paramater you want to change, and hit the start button. Thirdly, well really this is the sort of stuff you should be getting your NSC to do, thats why they spend all that time and money getting trained. You could save yourself some big problems that way. _________________________ David Singleton Navision Consultant since 1991 dmks22@home.com___________

In response to Alfonso and Pelle, I also used code like this on a few customer sites, and it is actually quite effective. Just remember when using the stats later, to look for patterns, i.e. we found that most users had run each report in their functional area at least once, so we deleted those stats, and only counted where that user had used the same report at least three times in a period of a month. This is really usefull to show the customer which reports do not need to be converted to the new system. When customers don’t pay for unnecessary conversion work they save money, and most customer are happy when they save money, and most NSC’s do good business with happy customers, so I like Alfonso’s suggestion. _________________________ David Singleton Navision Consultant since 1991 dmks22@home.com___________