Navision database crash.

Hi all, We are using Navision 2.6 since last 3 years or so. Last week we had a database crash which I do not know how it happened. We have two disks with a single databased distributed on two disks (part one and part two). This particular day the database size of part two was suddenly reduced to zero while users were connected and working. I am not sure what happened. I checked all probable causes but in vain. Is this happens due to navision or is it something to do with virus or security. But in our case the server is secured with security and also the antivirus. Is there a new virus which Mcaffee does not check? Is there any one who faced similar problem and was able to find any probable cause please let me know. Thanks[?]

You should upgrade Your server and clients to at least 3.10. Until that version there has been a bug that could (in rare occacions) cause a crash of the database. I have seen this at one of our customers two times and after upgrading to 3.10 there hasn’t been any problem. /Lars

Hi Lars, Thanks for the feedback, We will work on to get the newer version. Best Regards

Hi Lars The crash that occured at your customers, what kind of crash was it? Damaged database or something else? Reason I ask is that I have seen a few database failures in Navision but never have I seen or heard about a database file that is reduced to 0Kb as nasirm describes. I find it really hard to believe that this is caused by Navision and I would rather assume that is something external.

I’ve seen this before Bjarni. It’s quite rare, but it can occur on versions earlier that 3.01B. In that version there was a “safegueard” introduced to adress this problem. Look in changes.doc for version 3.01B and You’ll se it. If You run a transaction intensive db on C/SIDE DBMS I would reccomend to upgrade the executables to at least 3.01B. /Lars

quote:

Originally posted by gaukur
The crash that occured at your customers, what kind of crash was it? Damaged database or something else? Reason I ask is that I have seen a few database failures in Navision but never have I seen or heard about a database file that is reduced to 0Kb as nasirm describes.

One upon a time… there was a similar problem with OS/2. Only the database size in the FAT was changed (sometimes to zero, sometimes only 4 more bytes). The server was not able to open the database if the FAT size was not the real database size. However, in these cases, we were able to ‘adjust’ the size in the FAT with special tools.