Navision character set / 128C barcode

Apparantly, Navision’s native character set does not include these 2 characters: ¨ and © (Diaeresis and copyright symbol). Most windows fonts have these characters; they have values of A8 and A9 (hex), or 168 and 169 (decimal) respectively. In order to print a 128C barcode, I need to be able to print these characters. For all other characters, I assign a decimal value to a character type, then append the character to a text string, which I then print using a 128C barcode font. However, since the two characters mentioned above don’t exist, I can’t add them to the text string, not even as literals (since I can’t even type or paste these characters into the C/AL editor. Any workarounds? – ID –

Irrespective of whether the characters appear in Navision’s character set, the real question is do these characters have symbols in the barcode font? I’ve just had a look at my list of EAN-128 symbols (which is synonymous with C128 as far as I know) and they do not. Check your documentation for the barcode font but I would be surprised if they do appear. Cheers John

Thanks for your reply, John – it helped me realize what the solution is. There is no getting around the missing characters issue – if a character does not exist in Navision (such as the copyright symbol), you simply can’t print it, no matter what font or printer you’re using. So the solution is to use a different barcode font – one that uses characters that exist in Navision. I found a font that works, and am now able to print 128C barcodes in Navision. If anyone wants the info, I’ll be glad to send the font, the code, and instructions. It’s actually very easy to implement… once you know all the rules. – ID –

Isn’t there something like this on the Hermida Site? I know I looked at something on there. www.hermida.com/navision Darren Bezzant, NCPS, NCSD Central Software Ludlow, New Brunswick, Canada dbz@nb.aibn.com

I have also discovered that the extendeded character set (ASCII > 127) is dependent on the version you are running and the codepage settings in the registry of the machine printing the Code 128 labels. It sounds like you’re using v2.50 and Elfring fonts. If that is the case, you may want to upgrade to 2.60. Regards, Floyd Chan, NCSD Charon Systems Inc.

could you please send me the solution. I am trying to print a 128 barcode out of Navision using IDAutomaion fonts. Won’t work because of the start and stop character.

quote:

Originally posted by ivan
Thanks for your reply, John – it helped me realize what the solution is. There is no getting around the missing characters issue – if a character does not exist in Navision (such as the copyright symbol), you simply can’t print it, no matter what font or printer you’re using. So the solution is to use a different barcode font – one that uses characters that exist in Navision. I found a font that works, and am now able to print 128C barcodes in Navision. If anyone wants the info, I’ll be glad to send the font, the code, and instructions. It’s actually very easy to implement… once you know all the rules. – ID –

Ivan, It is possible to use a barcode font with characters who don’t exist in the Navision character set. Just take a look at the Character Map in Windows. Choose a ‘normal’ font, like Arial, and search the character, for instance ©. Remember the position in the table of the character and go to the font ‘Terminal’. In this font, select the character at the same position, that would be ê, and copy this character to your code. This should do the trick.