Navision Automation

Hi, I’m absolute newbie in Navision but I have a pretty good background in MS technologies and ERP systems, so I would like to ask a question which rather needs a technical answer: I would like to consult a friend of mine whose company uses Navision Attain 3.60 using MS Sql Server 2k as a backend. Every day at 7:00 PM they need to execute a procedure in Navision which recalculates products cost (i.e. reflects confirmed orders - hope I use understandable terms - if not just think of it as some kind of batch processing). What they were told by the consulting company was that this task cannot be automated except if they buy some application server(?). Here comes my question(s): a) If Navision Attain 3.6 is a classical client/server application there is probably no business logic on the server except the one needed for raw data processing (stored procedures/triggers/functions). If that is the case is it possible to solve the problem by installing a full client license on the server and using C/Front to automate the task (by invoking the appropriate function/method by extended stored procedure which is executed at the right time by SQL Agent) b) If Navision Attain 3.6 is an 3(n)-tier application then there’s a great chance that the business logic components are run on SLQ Server mechine. What’s the problem in that case to reach the entry point (being it some exported function, COM class method or whatever) by using some automation like the one described here http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11660 ? c) In case I did not understand correct and they use native Navision database (I have no idea what’s this but saw it here in the forum) is absolutely passive (i.e. file server technology), i.e. is it just a set of files accessed by several client like MS Access 2k and earlier? If so I suppose the only way for automation is to automate the client. d) Finally, if both a) and b) dont’t work is there some technical problem that could preven starting of an application that uses some form of SendKeys()?! Such an application could be executed on any client with Win2k/XP providing task scheduling service. Any help/advice would be highly appreciated. Many thanks in advane Emil Devedjiev

Since your friend’s company is already running version 3.60, there is another choice. A very inexpensive module called Job Scheduler (in Service Management) can perform automatic tasks with either the native (proprietary) Navision database or SQL Server. If the batch job which you want to run can be run by an user during work hours, you can use this simple module to schedule it off-hours. Basically you say which batch will run, at what time, and leave an open Navision Client with the special Job Scheduler Form running. When the time comes, this Form will run whatever process was setup. It’s a very simple solution for your question and your friend’s MBS-Partner should be able to help them buying this module if they don’t already have it.

Thanks a lot! That’s exactly what I was looking for (and it definitely doesn’t look like an application server to me ;-)) Thanks again, Emil

quote:

Originally posted by nelson
Since your friend’s company is already running version 3.60, there is another choice. A very inexpensive module called Job Scheduler (in Service Management) can perform automatic tasks with either the native (proprietary) Navision database or SQL Server. If the batch job which you want to run can be run by an user during work hours, you can use this simple module to schedule it off-hours. Basically you say which batch will run, at what time, and leave an open Navision Client with the special Job Scheduler Form running. When the time comes, this Form will run whatever process was setup. It’s a very simple solution for your question and your friend’s MBS-Partner should be able to help them buying this module if they don’t already have it.