Navision 2.6 database not replicable?

we would like to have 2 navision 2.6 databases (on sql server 2ooo) synchronizing each other using the sql server replication techniques. one database in germany, the other in cape town. our navision prof. told us this will not work. reason: the navision internal procedures depend on a numbering system. on 2 locations same numbers would be generated for different records, thus creating a mess. is there anybody who has synchronized a navision database to different locations? and if, how … ? thanks, joern richter, hamburg

Hi Joern, we have done that with 7 factories and the HQ, all the databases have the same data after replication. Please contact me directly via email (you can use German if you want). Ok, right now I hear all the other user screaming: ‘discuss it public’. If there are any other user who want to discuss this topic public, we can do it here as well. But I need some more information from Joern before I want to discuss this topic public. Regards Walter

Hello Joern, We are currently implementing a project which involves three Navision Attain 3.10A installations. Two in different locations in Europe and one in the US. As part of this project we have got the three databases to synchronize with each other automatically, checking for order duplication, creating new customer records etc. It should be noted that these are Attain installations and are running native Navision and not SQL. I’m afraid that as I’m only a humble support consultant & not involved in the project, I don’t know the full “ins and outs” of it other than it is possible. Hope this is of help. -------------------------------- Edward Bloomfield Navision Support Consultant Cambridge Online Systems Limited www.cambridgeonline.net

One our customer using replication of 8 databases more that 3 years. They have used Nf 1.30, now using Attain. Thechnicaly no diference SQL or Native if replication uses CFront.

Hi all. I’m very interested on this topic. I use financials 2.01A with Navision own Database. Not SQL. I would like having several servers real time sincronized. Thanx.

hello walter, thanks for the fast answer. what data do you need? i cannot find an email adress, so i ask this way. i am surpriesed to read it works, because our ncs (cabus hamburg) told us it will not work. anyhow, i really look forward to get more informations. thanks from grey hamburg joern richter

Navision’s statement is that Navision SQL option will not work using the SQL Database replication. This is due to the fact that the internal Navision versioning uses Datestamps and the SQL replication uses the same. There is nothing from stopping 2 databases being replicated via other means. If anyone is actually using SQL to replicate their databases, I’d be interested in knowing. Chris.

Hello everybody, i hope this thread is not dead. i still like to know how those of you, who have established a database replication, have done it. … thanks joern richter

Hi, Take a look at www.kloster-import.dk. They have solutions for replicating databases. Best regards Daniel

My comments: Chris: The replication system for SQL Server 2000 does not have this problem with timestamps as SQL Server 7 did, because 2000 now uses GUIDs (uniqueidentifier data type) for matching records for merge replication etc. So the timestamp columns that Financials/Attain uses for optimistic concurrency does not interfere with replication. joern: I see two problems: 1, The table names used in Financials/Attain have been a problem with replication in terms of invalid characters such as . and ’ This can be addressed table-for-table, and apparently is being looked into soon in Attain. 2, The application using number series, as you say, can be a problem. But this depends on the type of replication topolgy chosen.

My comments: Chris: The replication system for SQL Server 2000 does not have this problem with timestamps as SQL Server 7 did, because 2000 now uses GUIDs (uniqueidentifier data type) for matching records for merge replication etc. So the timestamp columns that Financials/Attain uses for optimistic concurrency does not interfere with replication. joern: I see two problems: 1, The table names used in Financials/Attain have been a problem with replication in terms of invalid characters such as . and ’ This can be addressed table-for-table, and apparently is being looked into soon in Attain. 2, The application using number series, as you say, can be a problem. But this depends on the type of replication topolgy chosen; Non-transactional being less demanding and transactional or merge replication being more demanding.

to conclude: using navision 2.6 on top of sql server 2000 it is NOT possible to synchronise 2 or more databases. there needs to be a programming that separates the internal numbering for each database. lets say database 1 shall start with 100000, database 2 shall start with 200000 and so on. and this for each internal numbering that is been used. making this modification the accounting review will be tricky, as this modification is a -kernel- modification and thus requires a new check of the accounting procedures. this applies to german version.

Hello, I have managed to “pick the brains” of the people working on our synronisation project. They have overcome the issue with the internal numbering of such records as the Item Ledger Entry table, by changing the primary key to a combination of No. & a database identifier field (Which system created the entry). This sounds very, very scary, but they have managed to get this to work very well. Hope this is of interest! -------------------------------- Edward Bloomfield Navision Support Consultant Cambridge Online Systems Limited www.cambridgeonline.net

Hi All, Thanks for the great input before. We have a requirement and would like to know the following: 1. How’s the replication working now after the modifications to numbering in ILE/Other Entry Tables? 2. Surely, i expect it would have taken great effort to modify the code in all necessary places. I would like to know the time & resources spent on this as we have a similar requirement? 3. I’m concerned about the resources to be spent on maintenance of system in case of Service Packs/Upgrades to current System? I would be v.thankful if anybody can provide me with feedback on their experience and resources if any available to handle this effectively. With Regards[?]