NAV WebService inspiration needed

Hi,

I am looking for some inspiration to creating NAV WebServices, as the documentation and examples I have been able to find doesn’t contain, what I am looking for.

I am working on a new solution where all business logic shall be performed inside NAV and with a .NET based frontend (UI).

I need to have a set of parameters passed from the UI to NAV, have some business logic performed in NAV including collecting data, creating records etc.,
and then based on that, have a set of records exposed to the UI.

As I see it, I can send a list of parameters to a function in a codeunit, and that function can of course carry out all necessary in NAV, but to be able to expose multiple records to the UI, I probably need to use a page.
I can create a function in a page, but parameters passed to that will be lost on the following WS-call to that page.
In other words, how can I through a single WS-call have

• multiple parameters passed to NAV,

• initiated some business logic to be performed in NAV based on these parameters and

• collected and exposed multiple records from NAV as the “response” to the WS-call.

I am not looking for the .NET code to be performed in UI, but the structure and code-placement inside NAV (C/SIDE).

Hope the above makes sense.
Hope anyone have an example or some hints on “how-to”.

I know VJEKOSLAV BABIC made a very nice solution with the possibilities to have user-interaction between .Net code and NAV using Webservices.

So user interaction is possible (eg if confirm('Do you want to post…?) is handled on the .net program) It was presented during Mibuso Techdays 2012.

He used the possibillities of test-codeunits. Don’t know if it is already posted in some blog, but you can try to contact him at http://navigateintosuccess.com/

Hi Leif

You can do most things by using a combination of page-based webservices and extension codeunits.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd338962.aspx

For example it would be fairly easy to create UI that generates a sales order and have a function that posts the incoice, just as in NAV - by using an extension codeunit.

Hope this helps you.

/Søren

We have a ISV solution that provides complete eCommerce functionality for Microsoft Dynamics NAV(Navision).

Dynamics E-Shop is a fully integrated e-commerce solution for Microsoft Dynamics NAV (Navision). E-Shop offers an out-of-the box web store which directly interacts with Dynamics NAV (real time using web services).

E-shop is specially designed to leverage rich functionality provided by Dynamics NAV. Key elements such as Items, category, customers, customer specific pricing, discounts and any specific business logic are created and maintained in NAV. E-shop utilizes NAV webservices and latest technologies to communicate with ERP to pull these information real-time over the web to display accurate information to your consumers (B2C), business customers (B2B) and your Sales person. E-Shop creates order real time without need to sync.

You can checkout more at www.dynamicseshop.com or contact us at sales@dynamicseshop.com