NAV Replication

Hi

I want the ability to have our NAV system replicated onto a backup server in our backup server room located on the same site. and the ability to switch from one server to the other if our prime server goes down within a resionable timeframe. can someone point me in the right direction. I’ve been told this can’t be done.

One of our clients has been using SQL Database Mirroring for about 4 years now. First with SQL 2005 and now with SQL 2008 R2. They run High Availability mode with a witness. Failover takes seconds and clients simply need to reconnect to the backup server.

This is not the solutuon for everyone. It’s critical to have a high speed connection (LAN) between the 2 servers.

Log shipping is probably a simpler option for most situations.

Why? (just interested in your take on this)

I do agree that log shipping is a valid solution in many cases. But you also need to match the needs with the requirements. There is not a one-size-fits-all solution. On his particular site, one of the requirements was unattended failover with zero data loss. Something that log shipping can’t achieve.

With the servers being on the same site, I’d tend to lean toward mirroring. If different sites i’d likely move toward log shipping or maybe High Performance mode mirroring. But that’s just my take on it.

Hi guys, Thanks for the information. Much appreciated. You certainly have given me some food for thought.