NAV Integration (Direct Access or COM?)

What is the best way to store sync consumer information from an outside source? I can access the tables, but I would like to know the best approach.

Hi Time,

Welcome to the user group.

Don’t really think that anyone can answer this question without more information, because it really depends on many factors. And there are many ways to do it, which in different situations all are the “best way” for the job.

The different factors includes:

• What version is your NAV? Different versions offers different methods.
  • What database are you using with NAV? SQL or native?
  • Should the integration be triggered by NAV or the outside source? Is the data available in a different database or file to be imported into NAV, or should the outside source automatically update NAV?
  • If coming from the outside into NAV, is this outside source web based and should it update NAV directly with a “handshake” back to the user? (Like a simple “Data has been updated in NAV with record id# 111” message)

I’m sure that there are even more questions which could be asked and answered. And if you’ve don’t integration projects before, then you most likely know a lot of them yourself.

When you have the answer to these and your own “questions” then you can start looking into the different options you have with Dynamics NAV for integration.

You mention two of them yourself, Direct Access (assume that you mean updating the database directly from i.e. SQL Server or ODBC) or COM (assume that you here refers to NAV’s C/FRONT COM interface?). An alternative is, if you run NAV 2009, to use the NAV Web Services, which allows you to get direct access to the “business logic” as well as updating or for that matter reading data.

But it could also be that the better option is to have NAV import the data, which can be done either by letting NAV reading CSV, XML or Excel files, depending on how your data is stored. Or have NAV read the data directly from a different database.