Native Database - size

I have a client, whose database I’ve just expanded to 5GB. Now this client does take over 200 sales orders a day, so does this sound reasonable?!? Is there any way I can make sure the database is optimized?

File, Database, Information, Tables, Optimize. Depending on how long the database has been running for 5gb sounds fine. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Navision Solutions & Services, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Email:cbradney@deloitte.com.au

Just remember that optimizing not ollways is a good thing. When optimizing the databasefile is defragmented and reading will probably be faster. Writing to the databas will be slower since the disk heads will have to move longer to find free disk area. //Lars

If you have created new database-parts you should do a navision back-up, delete the database, create a new database and then restore the back-up. This way the data will be spread equally across the parts (disks), giving better performance since navision can read/write on several disks simultanusly. /Lennart

Thanks to you all, for your replies. I know the possible solution is to backup & restore, the only problem being it takes forever, and the fact that I’d have to do it as of an evening! I suppose the consolation is there’s all that lovely overtime … NOT! Anyway, thanks again for your replies.

You can speed the restore process up quite a bit by temporarly bumping up the DBMS setting to around 75% of your available memory. This assumes you only have the operating system and Navision running. Tom Wickstrom @ Aston Group (IN) taught me this trick and it works great. We restored a 16 GB datbase in 8 hours. Bill Benefiel Manager of Information Systems Overhead Door Company billb@ohdindy.com (317) 842-7444 ext 117