Multiple user development

Hi, We are working on a Attain project with a team of 6 people. Can anybody suggest the best way to have an automatic version management for the navision objects. Thanx in advance Kmbhartiya[:D]

I would suggest good documentation (describtion of all changes) and comments (persons date, name and changes made) in the Documentation trigger of each changed object.

Just follow the rules in Solution Developers guide book (part of MBS Solution Developer course). It contain very consice rules about developing in Navision. By, Stane

In my company, we developed some objects inside Navision with an high numeration (90000 and so on) to trace the state of a migration: project,task,objects involved in task (for ex. a task for all the tables, a separate for the forms, and so on), steps (for ex. single table or report), status of the steps and task (open, close, deleted), “where used” of objects, developers and comments at step resolution. When a developer is working on a step (object), he has to flag that object to advice other developers that will not use it and will proceed to the next step. Every developer has to fill the “where used” lines of the object (as found in the developer toolkit) and leave his comment (short and clear) on his object. Every developer has the project form as the main form. If you use the relation with AllObj system table (2000000038) in navision and import form the start every table, form, report and codeunit after 50000 you can have a good help in describing your migration. It avoids a lot of mess, it’s practical because you don’t have to exit form navision (the application is inside of it) and the “where used” function gives automatically a priorty to objects. A few reports must complete all these features. Good work!

Why don’t u try VSS. Rajan

quote:

Originally posted by Kmbhartiya
Hi, We are working on a Attain project with a team of 6 people. Can anybody suggest the best way to have an automatic version management for the navision objects. Thanx in advance Kmbhartiya[:D]

How do we use VSS to incorporate into Navision to lock an usage of an object? Thx in advance.

I just have to check but I know there was software on the market that actually lock the object while some other developer had it open in design mode. I mean documentation is all good and well but if you put your documentation in and I simply opened it before you saved the object and I save my object after you, I effectively overwrote your changes. I will ask my collegue about it. It was cheap it was sold in US Dollar but worked out to about R3000 (South African Rand)

We are using Windows watcher ( http://window-watcher.de.vu/ ) corporate edition and it works fine for us (max. 6 concurrent developer on the same project). And it wasn’t expensive. Have a look.

Regarding documentation, the version tag is quite useful - we add our own tag of the form IBSv1.2. The changes we make are specified in various modification documents, M01, M02, …, and I will often change the same object in different mods. I therefore add other tags - e.g. IBSv1.2;M09;M12;M14 tells me that the changes to the object were made for modifications 9, 12 and 14, respectively. It is then easy to view only the objects that were changed for M09 and save them to an .fob. We can thus install M09 separately from the other mods (the Mxx tags are removed on the client database, as otherwise their version tags would quickly become very long). Even more important is a suggestion made by a colleague to use different databases for different mods. So when I’m working on M09, I make a copy of the most recent client database, and start changing objects. This is quite important, as I often work on M09, then M12, then go back to M09, and things got really mixed up when I used the same database for all mods. Of course, documentation and version tags will not do the work that Window Watcher or VSS seem to do. Alastair