Multiple environments DEV,TEST,PROD Questions...

Hello,

I have some basic questions about creating multiple environments for AX 2009.

1. Can you install multiple AOS instances on same Server?

2. Do multiple AOS instances require different databases? If yes, do they require different SQL instance?

3. If I install multiple environments, how do I connect to each of three AOS instances from same client computer?

4. What is the best way to copy CONFIGURATION DATA and not the DATA from DEV environment to TEST environment?

Yes

It is not AOS which requires DB. It is application which requires separate DB. So you can have one application = one DB. But several AOS pointed to same application.

Using Client Configuration.

By CONFIG, do you mean the application setup, parameter tables? If yes, depending on several things, there are equally several ways this could be done.

Easiest way - have a dedicated data migration environment. You can store all setup data here. And when needed, export data from this environment.

Obviously for small environments (ex 1-5 users), the above strategy may not be viable.

Extremely thanks for replying harish.

I have now some more questions.

1. While creating three different environments DEV,TEST,PROD, do I need to have three different application directories, three different databases for three different AOSes?

2. I have a doubt that it may require three different application directories, so I can have different .aod files to copy from one app dir to another.

1. While creating three different environments DEV,TEST,PROD, do I need to have three different application directories, three different databases for three different AOSes?

i think you have to create different database for each AOS.

1. I have a doubt that it may require three different application directories, so I can have different .aod files to copy from one app dir to another.

Obviously there may be different .aod file for each instant which you have created.

Thanks for reply Nitin.

So here’s how should I do it, correct me if I am wrong.

Install first instance on server with first database. Then install second instance with second database and second installation directory. Then install third instance with third database in third installation directory.

Then I connect to first instance from client. Do some customization. Then to migrate my modifications, I copy .aod files from first instance installation directory to second instance installation directory. Right?

If above is okay, What .aod files do I need to copy to copy the SETUP but not the DATA in it?

it seem instant installation your are doing correct.

see coping .aod file i dont think so it will work properly .

instead of that you can export customization and import the same into 2 instant

same as Dat Def file you can do fo Data.

You CAN copy the .aod files, but you have to make sure the source instance is OFF when copying and you have to rebuild the .aoi file.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.