Moving Configuration data from Blueprint instance to UAT- AX 2012

HI,

I have created a Blueprint environment after attaching latest UAT DB backup to BP instance. In UAT environment we currently have 3 companies, and in Blueprint environemnt, we have configured 2 additonal companies.

I am trying to export DAT file from BP instance for two additonal companies and trying to import it in UAT in two newly created companies.

Issue: The Shared tables data (especially Number sequence) is getting overwritten for existing three companies in UAT

Is there a specific way of defining definition group to get this data movement succesfully? Please help if there is any other way of achieving the same.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Gaurav

Although the data migration frameowrk beta is available to partners the only current way of doing this is to SQL backup and restore - the old copy company and use of definition groups now cannot be used for moving companies due to the redesign of the table structure and shared tables.

Basically definition groups will not work for what you are trying to achieve.

HI Adam,

Thanks for you insight.

The DB back up and restore is not an option for us. Reason being: Already production has 3 companies implemented for Country A. Now we are rolling out additonal two legal entities for Country B. If restore DB from Blueprint, then it will overwrite delta transaction data from Production.

The Country B data is new and needs to be uploaded over and above Production data for Country A.

So objective is: to upload data (only Configuration) for 2 new legal entities from Blue Print while maintaining data (Configuration, master and Transaction) on Production

Please guide me on how we can achieve this, with minimum manual effort.

Thanks again!

Regards,

Gaurav

There really is no option once you have got this far down the track - you can start by individually exporting and importing tables, but that is it. Once you get this far without knowing how to move data and complete the task you are always going to hit issues that mean there is no longer a “minimal manual effort” option. Manual rekey, move table by table, or develop your own import/export. You can have a look at the Beta data migration framework from Microsoft as well. I am not familiar with it, I am just aware of the complete nightmare moving data from build to production now is with AX2012 and I am hoping the beta tool will assist here.

Hi Adam,

I have gone through each and every option provided by MS for data movement, but none of them are clean. So majorly problem seems to be with tools and flexibility provided by MS on AX 2012 for data movement (both in terms of Data Migration and incremenatl data movement for new legal entities). Not sure if there is any particular approach you are pointing to, when you say “get this far without knowing how to move data”. Please enlighten.

The approach i am following is very normal. Its a natural requirement to keep adding Legal entities to Production instance based on roll out needs of customer.

Please let me know if there is any approach mentioned by MS to handled incremental data in AX 2012 entities, or how should partners handle Customer reuqirement of adding new legal entities to Production instance, and move data for these legal entities to Production instance, with minimum downtime.

Moreover, there are new projects coming up for AX 2012, so any guidnace from you to counter this situation , from the very beginning, will be very helpful. Please keep the addition of new legal entities, in form of roll outs, in consideration in your approach to handle incremental Data movement from Build to Prod.

Thanks again for your insight.

Regards,

Gaurav

I understand it is very common to do this, Microsoft however have made no provision currently to achieve this except through SQL backup and restore. The current situation, Beta Data Migration Framework aside, is there is no option. Please feel free to discuss this with Microsoft like every other partner. To my knowledge there is no current incremental data for AX2012 entities. There is no delivered option for partners outside of the Beta Data Migration Framework, the approach from Microsoft currently is you need to develop your own solution. However I am not close to Microsoft, so you need to talk to them. My statement of “get this far without knowing how to move data” relates to the fact you have planned a process that is not available in AX2012 - your planning did not take into consideration the changes in AX2012 and the tools available. Basically you could have started designing a solution well in advance of hitting this issue now. I can only suggest you look at the Beta data migration framework, or start to get developers to investigate the options of creating an export and import tool (although I know we went down this line a year ago and it is not really a deliverable for customers because of the complications of the shared tables in a multi-company environment). The pain is that every partner is in the same boat, and I have read nothing that tells me Microsoft are looking at this, but as yet I have not even looked at the Beta Data Migration Framework which may of course be the solution to the issue.

Hi Adam,

Thanks a lot for helping through the subject. I will reevluate Migration framework, hope it helps in getting this done quickly :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

Regards,

Gaurav