Mouseless navigation in Global/Local variables?

Hi, after having used Navision 3.56 for 5 years I’m now getting to know Attain 3.60. Compared to the old Navision editing the C/AL code takes a lot of time - because I have to take my hand off the keyboard to use the mouse to reach certain essential program functions. Example: In the old Navision, I pressed F5 and got the variables and commands on one screen. It was always faster to go in here than to type a command than tp risk a mistype. Editing was just as easy. and two keys opened the window. In Attain 3.60 I can get the global variables window open by pressing just 3 keys, again. But keyboard navigation in this window is not possible. I need to use the mouse to reach the others tabs for functions and text constants. Any hints on how I could avoid using the mouse here? Or will this improve with an update to 3.7? Regards Martin Borus

Use + and to switch between tabs.

Ctrl + PgUp/PgDn BTW - this is the common shortcuts for moving between tabs in all windowsapplications.

Thanks for the fast solution. This will save a lot of time. Regards Martin Borus

+ CursorUp/CursorDown (the arrow keys) will switch between a form’s table box and the buttons. This also works with the filter forms of reports etc.

Be warned that the CTRL+PGUP / CTRL+PGDN shortcuts will not work on some “C/AL Locals” windows unless something is already declared.

quote:

Originally posted by xorph
+ CursorUp/CursorDown (the arrow keys) will switch between a form’s table box and the buttons. This also works with the filter forms of reports etc.

I had learned this one my Navision C/AL introducion course. So I expected that to work with the variables windows as well - and the course teacher didn’t know how to do it at all :slight_smile: BTW, is there a list of keyboard shortcuts hidden in the navision documentation? After having the mouse problem solved, I’d care mostly about these two: 1. When I cut out text in the C/AL editor using -X I always have to answer a pop up window asking me to confirm this. During programming I cut-n-paste my code around a lot so I’m interested in a way to avoid this annoying confirmation. 2. I’d also like to find out if there are any tricks that help me move around the Symbol Menu (F5) faster. For example it would be great if I could move to the top of the left column with as few keys as possible. In the old Navision pressing was all that was needed. Now it’s <up…><up…><up…><up…>… and so on. There has to be a faster way… Regards, Martin Borus

quote:

Originally posted by mborus 2. I’d also like to find out if there are any tricks that help me move around the Symbol Menu (F5) faster. For example it would be great if I could move to the top of the left column with as few keys as possible. In the old Navision pressing was all that was needed. Now it’s <up…><up…><up…><up…>… and so on. There has to be a faster way…

Instead of its now + .

quote:

Originally posted by mborus
BTW, is there a list of keyboard shortcuts hidden in the navision documentation?

(Hoho, der war gut… [:D]) The quality and availability of Navision documentation have been the source for many sarcastic, bitter and angry remarks in this forum. [:(!] I will decline any further comments…

quote:

1. When I cut out text in the C/AL editor using -X I always have to answer a pop up window asking me to confirm this.

I agree that this is really pesky, but we have to live with it.[xx(] I usually try to dodge this window by marking not the entire line, but only the text from its beginning to its end, which is a subtle difference. Deleting this text will not ask you for confirmation, but will leave you with a blank line which you have to delete seperately. This doesn’t work any longer when you need to delete multiple lines, though.

quote:

1. I’d also like to find out if there are any tricks that help me move around the Symbol Menu (F5) faster.

+/ will bring you to the top/bottom of the current column. This is also standard behaviour for windows applications. Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by mborus BTW, is there a list of keyboard shortcuts hidden in the navision documentation?

This is the only list I know of, from the Essentials manual, page 1-23. F KEY CTRL F KEY SHIFT F KEY F1 Help Toggle Mark What is … F2 Edit Designer AssistEdit F3 Insert New F4 Delete Close F5 List Entries Card F6 Lookup Next Window Drill-down F7 Field Filter Table Filter FlowFilter F8 Copy Previous Zoom Sort F9 Statistics Reconcile Apply Entries F10 Menu Bar F11 Post Post and Print F12 Main Menu Object Designer

Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll have to define my own keyboard macros then with a tool like Marco Express (http://www.macros.com) Otherwise editing C/AL code will take for ages :slight_smile:

quote:

1. When I cut out text in the C/AL editor using -X I always have to answer a pop up window asking me to confirm this. During programming I cut-n-paste my code around a lot so I’m interested in a way to avoid this annoying confirmation.

Personally, I copy-n-paste a lot more using CTRL+C/CTRL+V (why cut the code?) F-Key shortcuts in any given situation (also in the C/AL environment) will be displayed pressing Alt+F1. For other windows shortcuts - search for “Shortcuts” in the Windows-help.

[:(] - I get all nostalgic seeing the “Good Old Blue” … Annother key-board-thing you need to know: Shift+F4 = Properties Ctrl+ UpArrow = get from the sub-form to Main Form When adding a new field to a form or report, (1) Add the control (2) Shift+F4 (Properties (3) Left arrow ← (4) SS (To get to source Value fast) (5) Enter the value - in 3.7 they F I N A L L Y Added Shift+F2 to look in the variables (Now we just need to see the properties for the variables (just like in the good old blue))

quote:

Shift+F4 = Properties (1) Add the control (2) Shift+F4 (Properties (3) Left arrow ← (4) SS (To get to source Value fast)

That was another thing that annoyed me: Whenever I opened the properties window with SHIFT-F4, the cursor was stuck on the value and the property name was not seen. I solved that by changing the field order. After I exchanged value and property once the window now opens with both visible and looks like this (I’m quite happy with that):

quote:

Enter the value - in 3.7 they F I N A L L Y Added Shift+F2 to look in the variables (Now we just need to see the properties for the variables (just like in the good old blue))

This sounds good. I’ll ask my NSC to send me the update CD. They said earlier it was probably not worth to do the update and would be better to wait for 4.0 to arrive… Regards Martin Borus

They might be right as far as objects concern - but the executables should be fine.