Most loathed meal ;)

As replies to the recent poll about your most favorite meal came up with some kitchen horrors [xx(], I think this poll is overdue [;)] So, what makes you shudder the most? PS: I pondered a long time and almost yielded to the temptation, but eventually deleted “English cooking in general” from the list, to prevent getting toasted alive by our esteemed UK members (and honestly, it’s really not that bad) [:D][:D][:D]

How could you miss the culinary delights of ‘Mushy Peas’ or that all time classic English dish the ‘Chip Butty’.

Heinz, How could you miss out ‘Liver’! I hated it as a kid and I hate it now as an adult! PS - What particularly do you dislike about English cooking?

Connull, “raw liver” actually was on my mind along with many other delicacies, but unfortunately, you can only offer 5 options in a poll [;)] Regarding English cooking: Personally, I have no problems with it - I have always enjoyed my food a lot during my visits to the UK. Well, maybe because I avoided spicing up my fish ‘n’ chips with vinegar [:D]. However, with this being a joke forum, I just felt that this internationally recognized cliche should not be left unmentioned, and sincerely hope that no one is seriously offended [;)]

Hey - “Leberkäse” is originally from bavaria ! I have to protest seriously against hijacking one of our special local dishes to austria :wink: It was invented by the butcher of a bavarian royal, about 200 years ago. Aha. And as “Leberkäse” makes (min.) about 25% of my daily servings, i can’t imagine that anyone will shudder when being offered this delicious kind of food :slight_smile: Although the translation might not create the big appetite → liver-cheese (Uaahhh) But for the poll … for me the really hardest thing to even think of is another german special (i think it’s from bavaria or some other weird part of germany): its warm blood and liver sausage with sour-kraut. Looks like an exploded hamster. My grandma really gave me a hard time when insisting in eating everything up that she did put on my plate. One of my favourite childhood-traumata.

Heinz, I would hope no-one would be offended in this forum, I certianly wasn’t. [:)] Besides that it wouldn’t offend me because I’m Australian anyway! [:D] Getting back to the poll - Liver is definately my worst meal! Yuk! [xx(]

quote:

Originally posted by rmotzer
Hey - “Leberkäse” is originally from bavaria ! I have to protest seriously against hijacking one of our special local dishes to austria :wink:

That’s fine with me - we Austrians have a long tradition of hijacking all kinds of dishes and recipes from our former colonies (well, actually parts of Austria were a colony of Bavaria long time ago) and pretend they are ours [8D] Given the - never fully revealed - ingredients, the look & feel and, last not least, the taste of Leberkäse, you Bavarians should be happy that now it’s us taking responsibility for it [xx(][:D]

quote:

Looks like an exploded hamster.

ROFLMAO You shouldn’t have written this. I almost fell off my - office - chair laughing, drawing the attention of my colleagues [:D] But I have to agree with you. Warm liver sausage is one of my personal horrors too, but I did not put it on the list because I thought nobody else would understand [;)]

Do you have exploding hamsters in Germany then? If I see one, are there any signs I should look for or do they just spontaneously explode? [:D]

quote:

Originally posted by xorph
That’s fine with me - we Austrians have a long tradition of hijacking all kinds of dishes and recipes from our former colonies (well, actually parts of Austria were a colony of Bavaria long time ago) and pretend they are ours [8D]

You’re lucky we don’t use to do that in Spain… or i would have said it was an Spaniard one (you know… from the time where Austria was also part of Spain’s Empire…), but it would have been too many recipes to keep in a book as Spaniard ones that we let them to the colonies where they were created [}:)][:D][:D] Now seriously… i don’t find why so many people has that problem with liver… well fried with onion is delicious… [;)]… but something that i’ve never tasted (no matter how delicious French guys says it’s and no matter how good they say it taste in eastern Spain) are snails (yup… famous french scargots…). After seeing lots of them alive…[xx(][xx(] Easing those slimmy creatures is more than what i can consider as a pleasure…

Talking of slimmy things - what about Eels!?! Yuk!

quote:

Originally posted by apertierra
(you know… from the time where Austria was also part of Spain’s Empire…)

Well, I heard it the other way round, but we could create a poll about who was once a colony of whom… [:D][:D][:D] Seriously, wasn’t there just a single emperor who ruled over both countries, without either one being a “colony” of the other? It’s been a long time since I had my last history lesson [:I]

quote:

snails

Yuck. I was once told by a cook that eating snails is equivalent to eating chewing gum, except that they don’t have a taste of their own and therefore have to be filled with all kinds of spices. But while we are at the lower forms of life [:p], the probably most disgusting dish I have ever seen were frog’s legs. Some weirdo at a table next to me ordered this stuff many years ago. Still can’t get the image of a plate full with some green sauce, with the legs sticking out into all directions, out of my mind [xx(][xx(]

Squid. Worst episode ever. It’s like chewing rubber bands. [xx(] (Not that I chew rubber bands often to compare… [:D])

I’m starting to feel sick from reading this topic! [:(] [xx(] This is one topic we should have just kept to the poll - no further comments or posts! [:D]

Hmmm - Snails are not that bad … just a bit like a garlic bubblegum … you only have to think of something different than a long, slimy, red, wet, naked and moving snail when taking the first one into your mouth. AAAAAAhhhhhrggg… But like i said - then it’s not so bad :slight_smile: Thank god - here i am free to tell that. If my girlfriend would read that, then maybe i would be off the kissing list for a serious time.

I would have to admit that the worst meal I ever had was a plate of Tripe in Green Chilli Sauce and Refried Beans in Mexico a few years back. It was like chewing rubber bands with the added benefit that they set your mouth on fire. It had the lot - a colourful slop that attacked you from both ends.

Okay guys, I’m sorry to tell you, but you’re all wrong, so wrong I hardly know where to begin! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The worst dish in the world, ever, is a Swedish dish called Surströmming (for the Swedes out there, apologies if I spellt it incorrectly!). Anyway, it’s fermented herring - to the lay man - rotten rotten rotten (in every way!) herring. You can buy it in cans, and you have to open the cans under water, otherwise they will explode when you pierce the can. The smell could not be described by a writer even as talented as Shakespeare!!! The smell alone nearly made me bring up the entire contents of my stomach (imagine the worst stench in the world, and multiply that by about a thousand!) but the taste is just UUUGGGHHH!!! :wink: If you ever go to Sweden (amazing country, apart from their weird habits of eating rotten herring!) don’t ever try it - say you’re allergic to fish or something!

Brigid, All I can say is - why did you bother trying to eat it if you had already smelt it?!? It sounds disgusting! [:0] You are right about Sweden, it is a amazing (how does a country have such an abundance of beautiful women!!!) [;)]

Brigid, are you sure you were supposed to eat this stuff? Maybe it really was some engine lubricant or industrial bathroom cleaner? [;)]

If You just smelled it and didn’t eat it You missed something really nice [:p]. I must admit it takes some time to get used to it, but it’s worth it I can tell You! Best regards from the northern coast of Sweden - The homeland of Surströmming And for all of You who are qurious about this. Follow this link: http://www.escapeartist.com/efam32/swedish.html /Lars

Well I’m glad that when I visited Sweden, I didn’t have the unfortunate pleasure of tasting this delicacy! [:D]