monthwise no. series creation

Can anyone please tell me how to create a no series month wise?

I hope we have to create new no.series as we are doing for financial year…

I want to create a no series which looks like: Name of the series/ Month/ Number. Is it possible without using different starting date for each month??

Sure it is, just create them

Sorry I don’t think so IF it is possible then tell me how we can use a single no series and change multi no series without starting date

That’s easy, you simply create them and use them whenever you want

When creating any record, be it a customer, sales order, or whatever, that relies on a number series you can type F3, then use the AssistEdit (the “…” button) on the No. field to access the number series and select which one you want to use.

Why do you want to create it by month when every transaction is stamped with a date - what business advantage does a monthly number series give you? Lets take the sales order, you create it in one month, ship it in another and invoice it in another. You see what I mean?

One of our client, want this type of no series for Vouchers only. [:(] They want the no series to look like : Type of the no. series / Name of the month /Number. This can be created manually for each month but i wanna know, is there any other way??

One of our client, want this type of no series for Vouchers only. [:(] They want the no series to look like : Type of the no. series / Name of the month /Number. This can be created manually for each month but i wanna know, is there any other way??

Because your client wants it is not a reason, find out the reason “why” the client wants it, then explain how Nav works and if possible how you would give them exactly what they want without the client going through a modification to automate a new monthly series.

I am confused DENSTAR & MATT please tell me how

i made a new no. series

test —> in no. series line

i create 3 no series

test/jan/0001

test/feb/0002

test/mar/0003

without using starting date

then i use in any item and then i can use only one at any time ie. test/jan/0001

i can’t change it to another month

Did you use the assist edit button (… button) after using F3 to create a new record? Just hit F3 and then use the button, don’t actually Tab or Enter out of the field first.

Also those numbers are not all that good. What’s going to happen when a new year comes? You’ll start repeating the same document number. It’s not the end of the world, but it can cause confusion.

There’s a how to about numbering series in the help files I believe, so you should read that to learn how to use those. Other than that I agree with AdamRoue that it is a mistake to use it like this. There are a number of date fields to choose from when analyzing order performance, and if you need other attributes to filter on, add new fields to the tables. Assigning multiple meanings to a single field is NOT the right design.

You already have the answer but you don’t like it? Why not? Why don’t you describe exactly what it is that you want.

[:^)]
This NoSerie will probably work fine as “month_no”. But next year, then what?

Btw - if you want to use multiple series, you have to use define Relationships between the series.

Serious. And honestly - we are in year 2011, and I think that method (month included in a numbersequence) is something belonging to ancient times - from the time before I started my carreer in this bussiness, and that is quite some years ago!
As others advice - make use of standard NAV fields, like Order Date, Shipment Date, Posting Date, …