Misposted payment

I have gone and posted a payment to the correct customer but the wrong invoice. Is there a way to reverse the incorrect posting so I can apply it to the correct invoice?!?!?! HELP!?!?!?

One solution is provided by a modification available to your NSC from our firm. At the risk of being too commercial, if this is of interest, ask your NSC to visit our website for more information. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Hi Celeste Sorry nothing as standard, although to create the same situation you could manually create a sales invoice from sales journals against the customer for a number similar to the one incorrectly applied against, i.e. if the original was 9832 the new one could be 9832C, than re-enter the payment, with a document number similar to the original (an additional C as with the invoice) and then apply this payment to the correct invoice. Makes the customer card a bit of a mess but no overall net change and the outstanding invoice is now (kind of) correct. Things to be aware of is the presentation of statements, traceablity and if you use serial numbers or lot numbers. Alternatively you could take up David’s offer! Kind regards Steve

Hi Celeste I think Steven’s partly right, but I would do all the adjustments with CR/ADJ Notes. Maybe that’s what Steven had in mind for “entering the payment again”, but if you don’t do it by adjustment, your bank is going to end up in a mess. Good luck

I belive this can be done in standard Attain, Just FYI //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

Hi Henrik Where in Attain? I cannot see any standard unapply functionality, am I missing something obvious?? Steve

Hmm - I cannot find it my self, either. I just heard that should be possible, and that were the reason for the Detailed Customer Entries ect. /Henrik //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

I dont think you can do it in Attain on the Sales and receivables side. You cn do it on the payables side if you have issued a check for payment of the invoice, then you can void the check and Attain will unapply it. But we have a mod for Attain that will let you do it on the Sales and receivables side http://www.simcrest.com Edited by - mjanum on 2002 Mar 23 18:28:31

Liberty Grove Software has a mod in our Mod-Of-the-Month library for doing a receivables unapply which handles all the issues including reversing discounts. We have a version for versions of Navision from V1.1 to V2.6 and another version of the mod for Attain. See the Software section at www.libertyforever.com. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Forgive my ignorance but is it not possible to select the transacation and minus the figure so it’s available for allocation again?

A couple of problems with that with standard “out of the box” code: 1) You can’t just unapply the entry 2) You can’t post a negative Payment and apply it to effectively reopen the entry, negative payments are not permitted. 3) You could post a new Invoice and Payment pair but now you will have two sets of problems - first, if you print statements, there will be confusing “tracks” of the error and correction on the customer’s statement, and, second, you will have to make correcting adjustments to the various affected G/L accounts to nullify the effects of the corrections posted to the Customer Ledger. In a nutshell, not really. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

Hi David, I woulg like to know if by using the unapply functionality and incase of reversing the discounts. Does this create a new entry in the G/L. What is mean to ask is. if the entire payment line be reversed. If yes then how is the scenario of Single payment to multiple invoices handled. Thanx Best regards, Prashanth NCFC, NCMC, NCSD pbg@navilogic.com

Our Unapply function design is based on the concept that once the payment/credit has been unapplied, the result should be as if the apply event had never happened. If there is a G/L Entry created as a result of the apply, our Unapply removes that entry. If the payment/credit which is unapplied had been applied to several invoice/debits, it is unapplied from all those invoice/debit entries. You can then start applying as though the original apply action had never happened. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

WHAT! Do you REMOVE G/L Entries? Holy Cow! Have you talked to any CPA’s doing that. There is a reason for the G/L Entry table to be non-deleteable! //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-

Removing incorrect entries from accounting records is not considered a bad thing in accounting practice. You certainly don’t want unauthorized people to change accounting records, but if a person is authorized to make an entry and accidentally makes an error, they generally would be authorized to erase the error and make a correct entry. That is what our code allows. What is important is not that an incorrect entry cannot be erased, but that the detail that makes up the totals is available for auditing to validate its correctness. Detail entries in the G/L Entry table are deleted by Navision’s standard code when those entries are compressed. I realize that can be done only after the period is closed, but that is a matter of timing, not of absolute non-deletion. You could make an entry two minutes before closing the period, then close the period, then immediately compress the data causing your two minute old entry to be deleted. My example is a bit extreme, but my point is that unmodified Navision also deletes G/L Entries under certain circumstances. What is important is the result is correct and gives an accurate picture of the activity of the business. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

There is no need for deleting G/L entries in case of Unapply payment. Here is how Unapply works (or should work): a) Apply original payment against a new Unapply entry making remaining amount for both the entries as zero. b) Restore the remaining amount on Original Invoice entry (depening upon Version there are different ways). c) Update the STATUS (open/closed) on Customer Ledger entries. I have seen a couple of solutions and none of them deletes G/L entries, instead the balance entries are created which clearly show unapply entries. Satbir

How something “should work” in this, as in many other things, is a subjective judgement about which reasonable people may disagree. We have had others who felt the removal of the incorrect entry was a better solution than the ofsetting of the incorrect entry. But in the interests of satisfying the greatest number of users, we will update our enhancement to provide either option. Thank you for your feedback. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

You are welcome.

I Agree with Sabir no solution should actually delete entries. First it is not recommended by Navision, second because some auditors will have an issue with a system doing this, because it destroys the audit trails. We have now released an online demo of our add-on, so you might want to see how our mod handles the unapplyment and keeps audit trails intact. http://www.simcrest.com/Simcrest1/SimCrestproducttemplate1.asp?ProductID=Voidpayment

quote:

Originally posted by daves: Removing incorrect entries from accounting records is not considered a bad thing in accounting practice. …

Hmm - I have to dissagree with you on that one. Anyways that is alsways what I have learned. I do know that there is a difference between Therory and “how it works in real life”

quote:

Originally posted by daves: What is important is not that an incorrect entry cannot be erased, but that the detail that makes up the totals is available for auditing to validate its correctness.

This time, I do agree with you. However, try this senario: (Customer nos. and chart of account comes from Cronus USA, Inc.) 1. A/R Clerc are misposting a Payment for Customer 10000 2. Balance Sheet are printed for the auditor 3. A/R Clerc realizes 1 hour later, that (s)he misposted the recieved check. 4. Run your version of unapply 5. Post correct payment for Customer 31505050 6. Print Account Statement for these accounts 13100 (Customers, Domestic) and 13200 (Customers, Foreign). 7. Auditor askes, how come that the two accounts don’t match the Balance sheet… Again - A very extreme example, but when doing a date compress (which you don’t do for G/L entries, anyways :slight_smile: ), will show ‘Date compressed’ - and you have an explanation (And a backup from before you did it :slight_smile:

quote:

Originally posted by daves: What is important is the result is correct and gives an accurate picture of the activity of the business.

Agree :slight_smile: //Henrik Helgesen -: KISS::Keep it Simple, Stupid :-