Minmize/Maximize

Hi, All Is there any way to to show a minimized form without minimizing everything else on the screen? I have a form (say A) that, when some events happen, launchs a second form (B). I’d like to show form B minimzed (i. e. setting the Maximizable property to No), but when form B is closed, I want form A back to its former size. Too much for Navision, uh? [}:)] Anna

Hmm - Sounds confusing - Can you maby try to explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish - To me I don’t even see why you would want that behaviur

IMHO, this will only work using Windows API calls, which just happen to require a window handle (hWnd). You would have to write a COM DLL which is then called from Navision and searches the window hierarchy for the form windows in question. In addition, I severely doubt that Navision will tolerate its form windows being modified by some external components… Good luck [;)]

quote:

Originally posted by Hhelgesen
Hmm - Sounds confusing - Can you maby try to explain exactly what you are trying to accomplish - To me I don’t even see why you would want that behaviur

We have a set of technical properties related to an item. Say item 12334 must endure temperatures from -10 up to +100, must absorb water less than 1% of its weight and so on… a lot of things of the most various and funny nature. Each item might have a variable number of properties which must be filled to be checked later. So we made a table related to the item where every record will hold a property. Most properties can be expressed by a number, some by a range, some by a code to be chosen from a table, some are booleans… That means that we have different fields that must be filled depending upon the type of property that is being entered. For the user would be very confusing to have all the different types of field spread on a single line and have to look for the right one to fill, so we (why am I talking with the ‘royal we’ this morning? [:o)] ) made a card form which opens after the validate of the property code showing only the appropriate fields for the property at hand. The user complains that the card fills the screen and hiddens the original form (what he need it visible for, please, don’t ask me!) and, of course, if he minimizes the card, when he closes it and goes back to the main form he finds it minimized as well, which is annoying. [:p] Anna

quote:

Originally posted by xorph
IMHO, this will only work using Windows API calls, which just happen to require a window handle (hWnd). You would have to write a COM DLL which is then called from Navision and searches the window hierarchy for the form windows in question. In addition, I severely doubt that Navision will tolerate its form windows being modified by some external components… Good luck [;)]

Mhmm… I guess the user will get used to the maximized card! [}:)] Anna

Oh, ye olde maximized windows topic again [:D] I still contend that maximized form windows are evil and should be banned. And, still, nobody listens to me, especially our users [B)][:D]

quote:

Oh, ye olde maximized windows topic again [:D] I still contend that maximized form windows are evil and should be banned. And, still, nobody listens to me, especially our users [B)][:D]

Do you feel comfortable writing C/AL code into a stamp-sized window? [:p] Anna

Maximized windows - isn’t that an oxymoron? [8D] Anyway, the user could use minimized windows and drag the Item Card (and other forms as he sees fit) until they fill the whole screen.

quote:

Originally posted by Anna Perotti
Do you feel comfortable writing C/AL code into a stamp-sized window? [:p]

LOL No, but when writing reports, I usually need to keep the dataitem window open simultaneously to be able to switch between dataitems quickly. And more often than not, I nowadays find myself copying code around from older objects [:D]

Anna, this behaviour is standard in the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) UI in windows. It is not specific to Navision. Although MDI behaviour can be changed it is usually not for the very purpose of keeping it standard, and Navision does not meddle with it. By the way, by Minimized I assume you mean in its ‘restored’ state - not Maximized, but not minimized down in the bottom left corner either!

quote:

Originally posted by robertc
Anna, this behaviour is standard in the Multiple Document Interface (MDI) UI in windows. It is not specific to Navision. Although MDI behaviour can be changed it is usually not for the very purpose of keeping it standard, and Navision does not meddle with it.

I’ll tell my user that, hoping he will be properly impressed. [:)]

quote:

By the way, by Minimized I assume you mean in its ‘restored’ state - not Maximized, but not minimized down in the bottom left corner either!

Yeah, you got it right! [:D] Anna

Anna, How about a form that combines elements of a list form and a card form. Put a TableBox on the left containing the common fields from the Item Property table (including the property code). To the right of the table box you could have card style controls for the fields that are specific to the type of property. These controls will display the values for the current record in the TableBox and with some C/AL code you can set the visible property based on the property type so that only the controls that are relavent will show for the current record.

quote:

So, Heinz, when will you hire me for some, huh… disciplinary training with your users? [:p] [:D][:D]

quote:

Originally posted by nelson
So, Heinz, when will you hire me for some, huh… disciplinary training with your users?

Hehe - have you seen that old movie with Bill Murray, Ivan Reitman and John Candy joining the US Army and Warren Oates as their drill sergeant? You don’t want to end up like that poor old sarge, do you? [:D][B)]

I don’t remember that flick although quickly googling it uncovered the name “Stripes”. Is that the name? Should our task-force use it during mission-briefings down here at HQ? [:p] Anna, I’m so sorry. We just destroyed another thread… shame on us! I guess you’ve (colective “you” to match the royal “we”) already tried using a Dialog variable for input? It will always be in a “restored” state but I guess it’s not flexible enough for inputting your properties.

quote:

Originally posted by Anna Perotti

quote:

Originally posted by Hhelgesen

We have a set of technical properties related to an item. Say item 12334 must endure temperatures from -10 up to +100, must absorb water less than 1% of its weight and so on… a lot of things of the most various and funny nature. Each item might have a variable number of properties which must be filled to be checked later. So we made a table related to the item where every record will hold a property. Most properties can be expressed by a number, some by a range, some by a code to be chosen from a table, some are booleans… That means that we have different fields that must be filled depending upon the type of property that is being entered. For the user would be very confusing to have all the different types of field spread on a single line and have to look for the right one to fill, so we (why am I talking with the ‘royal we’ this morning? [:o)] ) made a card form which opens after the validate of the property code showing only the appropriate fields for the property at hand. The user complains that the card fills the screen and hiddens the original form (what he need it visible for, please, don’t ask me!) and, of course, if he minimizes the card, when he closes it and goes back to the main form he finds it minimized as well, which is annoying. [:p] Anna

OK - Now I see where you are going - But I do not see why you want to minimise one screen, while doing it. The company I work for uses a configurator (We build it in-house as we coundn’t find anyone ‘out there’ that was build inside of Navision) For each Option, we specify what type of input are required (Text, Boolian, Integer etc.). But the input field are always Text (Just like sdt. Navision (OnFormat uses a Text 1024 variable)). Then we have some validation code, that make sure that the input matches what we need.

And here a look into how it shows on the screen:

quote:

Originally posted by Hhelgesen OK - Now I see where you are going - But I do not see why you want to minimise one screen, while doing it.

Because, when I programmed it, that seemed the easiest way to do it! [:D]

quote:

For each Option, we specify what type of input are required (Text, Boolian, Integer etc.). But the input field are always Text (Just like sdt. Navision (OnFormat uses a Text 1024 variable)). Then we have some validation code, that make sure that the input matches what we need.

I had considered a similar solution, but I thought it would take too much to be implemented and discharged it. I didn’t think about the forms size at all. [}:)]

quote:

That doesn’t show on my screen. Anna

quote:

Originally posted by Jack Reynolds
Anna, How about a form that combines elements of a list form and a card form. Put a TableBox on the left containing the common fields from the Item Property table (including the property code). To the right of the table box you could have card style controls for the fields that are specific to the type of property. These controls will display the values for the current record in the TableBox and with some C/AL code you can set the visible property based on the property type so that only the controls that are relavent will show for the current record.

This sounds interesting, but I must confess that I never tried anything like that and I don’t think I fully understand how to do it. [:I] Would you, please, elaborate a bit futher? Do you have any sample that you might be willing to share? Anna

quote:

Originally posted by Anna Perotti This sounds interesting, but I must confess that I never tried anything like that and I don’t think I fully understand how to do it. [:I] Would you, please, elaborate a bit futher? Do you have any sample that you might be willing to share? Anna

Why, good morning, Nice Princess, did you sleep well? [:D] Forget my previous post. I figured it out myself at last! [:)] Anna