Microsoft Office XP

I don’t know if that’s an over hyped product but it seems that the office suite has been massively enhanced. The build-in collaborative tools seems very impressive. Has anyone started experimenting with the new features of the Automation Controller for this newly released office suite ? tarek_demiati@ureach.com

I havent seen XP yet, but the issues of version levels in automation controllers comes to mind, if you think of v2.6x and lower. 3.0 shouldnt have a problem. Craig Bradney Technical Manager Navision Solutions & Services, Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu Email:cbradney@deloitte.com.au

I have no experience with XP yet but two things let me keep my fingers away from XP at the moment: 1) In order to protect Outlook from VBS viruses like ILoveYou which produce bulk-emails, the contact folder can only be accessed from within Outlook or after the user confirms use of this address. This feature would prevent a third-party application like a Virus as well as Navision to automatically generate and send e-mails. A drawback for users who need that. 2) I don’t like the new licensing policy for XP: As the registration code is being composed of some hardware-components such as processor number, network card etc. you would have to call Microsoft support and ask for a new license-number whenever one of these components change. Not very user-friendly if you ask me. ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian

This is cool : Check how the guys at Great Plains have already incorporated the smart tag technology (part of Microsoft XP) into their application : http://greatplains.webex.com/webex/playback.php?FileName=http://www.greatplains.com/documents/downloads/Office_SmartTag_Solomon_061501.WRF tarek_demiati@ureach.com

As far as what I can see then this solution doesn’t do much more than what we can do in Attain with the shortcuts attached to an email. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

By the way, it seems that microsoft won’t use the smart-tags in the final release of Windows XP. Marco de Vries Navision Consultant/Developer ICM-Solutions

I saw that press release too. But they later said that will be including it. It will just be turned off as default. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

Well not quiet, maybe the demo did not highlight that smart tag is not a passive component, it actually allows you to perform actions as in launching application, events … Here’s a real life scenario of how smart tag can helps you to integrates the MS Office suite and a Financials solution. Let’s take for example a Purchase Authorisation module : 1/ You’re in Navision, you create Purchase Invoice No.1000009 and you submit it for Authorisation 2/ The Financial controller receive a notification e-mail in his inbox which says that he has to authorize Purchase Invoice No.1000009, in the body of this e-mail there’s a smart tag, when he double click on it, it launches Navision Financials directly and display Purchase Invoice No.1000009 so he can authorize the document for posting … Integration at it’s finest :wink:

quote:

Originally posted by Admin: As far as what I can see then this solution doesn’t do much more than what we can do in Attain with the shortcuts attached to an email. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

tarek_demiati@ureach.com Edited by - Tarek Demiati on 2001 Jun 29 07:55:32

And what is it exactly you can’t do in Navision Attain? 1) You create your purchase order. 2) You use Send Link By Email. 3) The receiver clicks on the link and it opens Navision and takes directly into the Purchase Order. Maybe it’s not completely as smooth, but it’s close. And I’m sure that the brigth people here on NOLUG soon find a way to do it even smoother (like creating the link directly from the programming - so that the email with the link is automatically created when the order is created). Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group

Erik, I was not aware of this functionality in Attain. What does the Send Link do exactly in Attain ? Does this require customization (commerce portal?) or does it comes in the non customized version of 3.0. If it’s in standard can you give an example in which area/module where this feature is used in Attain ? Cheers, Tarek tarek_demiati@ureach.com

quote:

Originally posted by fabian: 1) In order to protect Outlook from VBS viruses like ILoveYou which produce bulk-emails, the contact folder can only be accessed from within Outlook or after the user confirms use of this address. This feature would prevent a third-party application like a Virus as well as Navision to automatically generate and send e-mails. A drawback for users who need that. Marcus Fabian

That’s true, but accourding to the sites below is it possible to disable this function, if you’re a Exchange Administrator. (Untested) http://www.microsoft.com/Office/ORK/2000/journ/outsecupdate.htm http://www.microsoft.com/office/ork/xp/four/outg00.htm (The first page is regarding O2K, but it includes screenshots, which the XP site doesn’t) Please let me know if anyone tries this. Regards Peter

quote:

Originally posted by Tarek Demiati: What does the Send Link do exactly in Attain ? Does this require customization (commerce portal?) or does it comes in the non customized version of 3.0. If it’s in standard can you give an example in which area/module where this feature is used in Attain ?

It creates a URL link to a certain form in Navision, so it works with all forms in Attain, also custom forms. Additionally it works with reports. Here is an example of the file it creates:

[InternetShortcut]
URL=navision://client/run?database=m:%5Cdatabase%5Cdatabase.fdb%26company=CRONUS%20International%20Ltd.%26target=Form%2050000%26view=SORTING(Field1)%26position=Field1=0(109)%26servertype=NAVISION
Modified=40F01F59EB02C10157

As you can see it also specifies the filter (position). I’ve not tried it, but it is possible to create your own links directly from programming with the new function CONTEXTURL. This way it would be possible to create the links directly from a report that i.e. creates emails. Best regards, Erik P. Ernst, webmaster Navision Online User Group