MB7-838 Exam - study material

Hey there,

I would like to know if there are any specific material that would cover the topics for the exam MB7-838 (Installation and Configuration of NAV 2009). http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=MB7-838&locale=en-us.

The help file contains about 70 pages of info. Would that be enough? Is there any other more comprehensive source?

PS.Sorry for the repeated thread, buy my lost thread veered out of topic.[*-)]

The official training material is available on partnersource. If you have access to the training area you can download it there, and otherwise you can order it from Microsoft. This is one of the certifications that I would recommend strongly that you take the actual instructor led training, with all the new technology and setup complications, having an instructor there is very useful for this particular exam.

Oh and here’s a link to “the other thread”: http://dynamicsuser.net/forums/p/29429/155334.aspx

Thanks for that.

We are not yet partners. I did call the people at microsoft and the only material they say they have is the e-learning material that is 2 hours long. I am not sure that it is enough and even if its worth the money they ask ($300).

I am looking to finish this exam as soon as possible with out spending thousands of dollars on classes. Is that possible?-

Do you want to learn the subject matter or just need a piece of paper sayin that you are certified?

If you want to learn then definitely you will have to study and take classes and of course will need to spend dollars otherwise there might be short-cuts by cramming

ABCAADAAABCADC…etc. for all the questions in the exam.

Which one are you looking for?

Hmmm…ok…

First off, I do not know how you got the Idea that I was looking for a question bank. Because I DO NOT WANT THAT. I COULD USE GOOGLE FOR THAT. I was merely asking for a more economical way of studying. I am not one of those consultant with money growing on their trees, who would buy into this Microsoft marketing campain and pay 300$ for a 2 hour course OR thousands of dollars for a 2 day course. I do not think its worth it. I may be wrong but I doubt it.

I am however looking for a 50$ book for me to study,learn and pass. Simple.

All I want to know is that if its possible?

The simple answer to this is “No”. The only study material is available through partnersource or customersource. There are no books that will directly help you pass this exam. With this course if you want to know how to do it then you need to attend teh course. If you believe it is not worth the investment then you need to pick up the disk and start installing and configuring and learn as you go, I just hope it is not on a customer site where you learn this.

Thanks for that. Thats fair enuf. And dont worry about learning on the customer’s site. I would never misinform the clients or my bosses of my abilities. Thats not my style.[;)]

And THAT is exactly what I think is wrong in this whole picture. You are absolutely not at all interested in doing this the right way. You want it now, you want it cheap, you want it without having to put in the work. It takes YEARS of experience to be able to properly conduct NAV projects, and it doesn’t look like you are willing to make the right investments, either hiring experienced people or get the official training material (courseware and instruction).

You want to have a quick and easy way to get everything you want, but you are not willing to pay for it (and I’m not just talking money here). You want to become an official NAV Partner, you will need to put in place a group of certified consultants and developers, and you have to get customer references. You have already said you are not willing to hire experienced people to help you get started. In my opinion this is already an unsurmountable problem, because you are setting yourself up for disaster projects, and you are not going to help any customers that way.

By the way, do you want to know why it is so difficult to get customers? Customers are smart, they see through the bullshit, they can spot rookies a mile away.

I can feel a 6 page rant coming on but frankly… I don’t think it’s worth it.

Oh please…

I am sick of all you “Consultants” who paint a picture that only companies with ten NAV “Consultants” and ten NAV “Developers” earning above the 1mln dollar mark should enter into the Dynamics market and no “small” company can get into it. Thats just plain stupid.I do not mean to undermine the value of experienced individuals and experienced companies. But there are ways for companies like mine to enter into the market without the need to BS their way through. We will invest in resources but only to the extent we are capable of and right now,we cannot hire a team of experienced ppl.

Moreover, I did already mention that company would hire consultants when we get a project or just before we get them. Till then, what do you want me to do? Spend 3000 dollars for a 2 day course or try to find an alternate soln in this forum( that btw I thought was willing to help beginners).

No Mr.Denster,I do not rant,unlike you ("Mr. The only way to learn is to spend $$$$$$$$$ and kiss Microsoft’s ____ just to satisfy my ego "), I have a life…

PS. I already found my answers on this thread. As such, I do not need more help on this issue unless DenSter has the overwhelming itch to start a tirade.

Insults aren’t going to get you anything, it is very unbecoming.

If you’re going to try to argue, at least take the time to do some research and get your facts straight.

• Kissing my behind is not required to satisfy my ego, it would have the opposite effect, as I actually think the idea is quite disgusting. I don’t have much of an ego, a simple thank you will suffice.
  • Kissing Microsoft’s behind is not a requirement to become a partner. You DO need the right personnel, the right certifications, and I think a total of 3 customer references. See http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/en/us/partner-information.aspx for the requirements.
  • You don’t need 10 people, you need a minimum of two (although they might have changed that recently) with the necessary certifications.
  • You don’t have to be a big company to enter this market. Just 1 or 2 consultants with the right experience and certifications is not a big company. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of small NAV partner companies all over the world, and most of them got to where they are by hard work and investing in their companies. Getting the right training or hiring the right people is part of the right investments.
  • You do need to spend money to build your company. It’s called investing. You invest in your knowledge, you get the right training, you hire the right people, you do the work to get where you need to be.
  • Take some time and write down what you need to do. Research how much this will cost. Put the investments against potential earnings and project the future of your company for the next 1-2-3 years and beyond. It’s called a business plan, and banks will actually sign off on loans if you have the right business plan.
  • Experienced consultants do not need $1M salaries, where did you get that idea? If you would actually do the research and talk to some people, you would find that it would actually be quite reasonable.
  • Getting an experienced consultant on board might actually help getting the customer, and I think that would be the smartest investment at this point. As it stands now, you would be lucky if anyone signs up with you, because it doesn’t take a whole lot of questions to see through your story.

Do you really think that you can make it with a $50 book and some posts on the forums?? Seriously?? That’s your plan?? You have no idea what you are talking about, and I don’t see that you have any clue where you need to go, and all you are interested in it seems are shortcuts. I’m not saying you have to have 10 years of experience, but it takes a hell of a lot more than it appears that you are willing to put into it.

text removed by moderator, we don’t need pissing matches in here

I closed this thread, it was going where it didn’t need to go

And sure it should be closed. Vijay - I saw the post that Daniel removed - and I’m chocked. The Dynamics User Group has always had a very nice tone in our discussions, and you post was direct and personal attacks. Such posts are not welcome here on this website. Daniel is a 100% professional and very helpful Navision consultant who voluntarily spends his spare time on helping other Navision community members. So getting attacks from someone like you is not the way we want to thank him.

But this thread remains closed, and if you want to discuss it further, then please contact me directly!