Max. Report as Finished Exploding a BOM of line Type Item

Hello,

Background: design engineer with a new role. I have no background with ERP systems. I did read the AX BOM documentation on BOMs, some of the trade and logistics.

We have a part that was manufactured in-house but is now a purchased part. This part is a subassembly included on other BOMs as PHANTOM line types.

I changed the Phantom Line type to a ITEM Line type but there are complaints that the “Max Report as Finished” does not show this part. They are setting the explosion to “Always” and filtering for quantities <0 so the top level BOM would not be shown.

Should the “Max Report as Finished” explode a BOM that is a Line Type Item?

How should we handle going from a manufactured part to a purchased part?

The Max Report as Finished will show a BOM type item set as ITEM type.

Can you create a new BOM and then remove the item convereted and add it in again as new and then see if you can see it?

Any modifications in this area?

What version are you on?

Version: AX 2009 Version 5.0

Modifications: I am not sure what you are talking about. Can you change the behavior of this form?

I set up a CAR example in AX but I am unable to attach screen shots. I made some tables to show what is being reported.

I have a BOM for a CAR. It has 4 lines:

Part

Qty

Item Type

Line Type

Warehouse

CAR Wheels

Item

Item

Raw Material

CAR Axle

Item

Item

Raw Material

CAR Body

Item

Item

Raw Material

CAR Literature

Service

Item

Raw Material

I have a BOM for a CAR Kit that has 2 lines:

Part

Qty

Item Type

Line Type

Warehouse

CAR

BOM

Item

Finished Good

CAR Wheel

Item

Item

Raw Material

I am starting with 10 cars in the finished goods warehouse – and only enough raw materials to build 5 more cars.

Now when I do a “Max Report as Finished” with the Explosion as Never it shows that 10 car kits could be built because there are 10 cars in the finished goods warehouse. – it does not include the fact that I have enough raw materials to build 5 more which is what I would expect.

Item Number

Qty

Unit

On-Hand

Max Report as Finished

BOM Line

Level

CAR Kit

Also,

If I use the form to report with the Explosion of ALWAYs and a quantity of 10 then Max Report as Finished is EMPTY because it deducted wheels from Raw Materials. So there are no Wheels left for the Kit. But I have 10 cars in finished goods so I dont need raw materials.

Again, this doesnt seem correct.

Item Number

Qty

Unit

On-Hand

Max Report as Finished

BOM Line

Level

CAR Kit

EA

No

CAR

EA

No

CAR Axle

EA

Yes

CAR Wheel

EA

Yes

CAR Body

EA

Yes

CAR Literature

EA

Yes

CAR Wheel

Also, If I put teh quantity of 10 and Explosion of Always then Wheels are deducted from Raw Materials for the 10 because of teh exploded BOM and then I dont have enough for the Kit on the last line of the table. This isnt correct because I have 10 cars built and I dont need to use raw materials for the Kit.

This doesnt seem correct. Is this just how we implemented AX or is this a problem with AX? Or is this how it works and we shouldnt set Explosion to Always?

Item Number

Qty

Unit

On-Hand

Max Report as Finished

BOM Line

Level

CAR Kit

EA

No

CAR

EA

No

CAR Axle

EA

Yes

CAR Wheel

EA

Yes

CAR Body

EA

Yes

CAR Literature

EA

Yes

CAR Wheel

Hi Joe,

The behavior told for you is correct inside of the AX. Because, the AX was thought in the following way:

• Never - the BOMs underlying is not explosion when it has material scarcity;

• Always - all the BOMs underlying are total explosion. Any on-hand inventory for item of semiconcluded components will not be used.

Therefore that when you use the parameter Never does not show to the raw materials. Therefore enough amount on-hand. And when you use Always appears the raw materials due to the behavior of the parameter.

One remembers that the field Max Report as Finished must show the maximum that can be reported as concluded for the item of the BOM one without the on-hand in the inventory for being negative. And that the itens with status Ordered don´t show in field On Hand but it is led in consideration as on-hand.

I hope that I have clarified its doubt?

Murilo Oliveira

Murilo,

Thank you for the reply. I do understand your statement - I am starting to understand why I would want this option. In our case we have a process that dictates that we set the explosion to “Always” and in some cases this is not the correct thing to do.

Thanks,

Joe