Material Requirement Planning(MRP) in AX 2009

DUG,

Can you please explain me about the functionality of Material Requirement Planning(MRP) in Axapta 2009.

If we need to start MRP in our manufacturing unit, what are the things we should consider.

And from where exactly we have to start in implementing the Material Requirement Planning(MRP)?

Regards,
Rakesh

MRP definition will only consider materials needed for your planned/firmed production orders. If you are thinking to start planning from the sales forecast/sales orders, you need to talk about the functionality of Master Planning, where MRP is one of its functions.

1. Can you please explain me about the functionality of Material Requirement Planning(MRP) in Axapta 2009.

Considering the planning from the sales requirement, master planning will look into the future sales requirement (both plan and sales orders) and calculate in order to meet that demand (considering your actual stock and pending orders) how much you need to produce, and how much you need to purchase (materials) for production proposals.

1. If we need to start MRP in our manufacturing unit, what are the things we should consider.

An updated and relatively accurate demand forecast to start from the sales requirements (if it has poor accuracy, the quantities you are going to produce could lead to overstock or stock-outs).

Bill of materials/formulas for the produced items.

Lead times for you purchased materials, and routes (production time) for produced items.

Set-up the master planning module.

Give coverage groups (requirement -only planned when needed-, period -quantities summarized inside the defined period-, min/max -stock planned to be always inside those levels-) to the items to be planned.

Very important, you need to establish the process for people involved to be accountable for the information they provide and maintain like forecast, orders delivery dates, etc. The master planning process integrates sales, procurement and production departments (some times also finance) so they should be aligned. Take a look inside the Sales & Operation Planning (S&OP) methodology, this is a good process to have a good planning in the company, many times difficult to implement.

1. And from where exactly we have to start in implementing the Material Requirement Planning(MRP)?

You are going to need everything pointed in 2) to have master planning working. I would start reading and having a good knowledge about what is the purpose of this process, and the challenges that frequently may arise. Then take the technical and setup steps. Get training in this module (master planning).

Hi Héctor Eduardo Cazot ,

Thank you for your reply.

When I create new Planned orders, I get the error message “Working time Standard has not been specified for 02/05/2014.”

Thanks & Regards

Rakesh

Dear Rakesh,

You need to have working times composed for your production calendar.

Refer this: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa498646.aspx

Rakesh have you downloaded and read the manual from Customer or Partner Source - this would be my recommended start point.