Manufacturing Forecast/Budgeting in AX 2009

We went live with AX 2009 a few months ago. We are starting the budget process for 2014. Can anyone tell me if there is a way to load a monthly sales forecast for 2014 into AX and explode that forecast to give us material requiements and production hours requirements for each month (without regard to lead times - just total material requirements and hour requirements to make what we forecast to sell)? Our finished goods include a sub-assembly we manufacture, so I would also hope that the explosion would also provide the materials and hours needed to make those sub-assemblies.

Thank you, in advance, for any help you can provide.

“load” you could manually against the item, otherwise you need to write an integration depending upon the format, you then run forecast/master planning and it will suggest based upon the forecast plan and master plan settings and item group settings.

Thank you, Adam. It looks like the beginning of your response got cut off?

Just typing quickly so it is poor grammar. It depends upon your definition of “load”, which could be you manually entering it against the item record.

I was out for a couple of days, so I apologize for taking so long to thank you again for your help. It’s kindo of overwhelming, but we’ll get through. Especially with a little help from my friends…

I was out for a couple of days, so I apologize for taking so long to thank you again for your help. It’s kindo of overwhelming, but we’ll get through. Especially with a little help from my friends…

Craig,

Are you familiar with all of the sales forecasting options available in AX 2009? in addition to what Adam was mentioning, it’s possible to have AX explode out a single sales forecast value across a specified time period. For example, when creating a forecast, you can enter a value on the top of the form, select an allocation methodology on the bottom (either though a period key or a time period) and have AX create multiple lines for you. This can save some time if you decide to put in your sales forecast lines manually.

There’s also a lot of additional functionality associated with sales forecasts. If you’d like some additional information, feel free to reach out.

-Jake

Thanks for the reply, Jake. I don’t know that much about the forecasting options. I’ve been spending the last year trying to come up with ways to help operations understand their variances. The built in AX reports are pretty poor in that regard, but that’s another matter.

It looks like you’re trying to help us create a forecast. We have a forecast that we will upload into AX. Operations needs to know how many hours to budget in each department to make the products in the forecast.

Our IT department is testing one item using master scheduling and then looking at the plans? I don’t fully understand the process, but they are using the same, small quantity each month in anticipation of getting the same number of hours each month, but the hours are all over the board. They have eliminated all inventory and safety stock amounts, so our expectation is that what needs to be produced in the month, will be produced in the month. They are still getting screwy hours that don’t make much sense.

A little more information - We use phantoms to create the finished products. The routes are on the phantoms. We also have sub-assemblies going into the phantoms with routes on those sub-assemblies. Our expectation is to get the hours needed to make the finished product and the hours needed to make the sub-assemblies going into the finished products (phantoms) either by department or work center for all production.

I have to think AX can give us those hours, but we just don’t know how to get at them. Any ideas I can pass along would be appreciated.