Manage layers

Hi all, I have a question on managing VAR and CUS layers in dynamics AX 5.

We have a VAR layer where development projects by VAR is stored and we have a Cus layer where our modification is stored.

Now question is when Var release the new build, how can we apply those changes to the VAR and Cus layer? Do we have to import the new build in a Var layer and redo all the changes again what we already did in the Cus layer or is there a good way to achieve this?

Thanks

Lax

Hi Lax,

The layer concept is introduced mainly to avoid scenarios like this. Customers develop in CUS layer, VAR in VAR layer etc.

If you are a customer, then move all developments to CUS layer. This will make life easy for both you and your VAR.

Regards,

Thank you Harish but since our VAR has added some new features to their existing VAR layer which has already been customized by us in the CUS layer, how can we take advantage of those new features? Do we need to redo the changes to CUS layer again by taking the new VAR layer code?

Since I am new to AX, I don’t know how other customers are managing the development upgrades when they have their own custom code in CUS layer and VAR continues to add new features and customer wants to take advantage of them.

Is there any tool available in the market to find the XPO/Layer difference and merge them or do we need to redevelop the form, method etc to new VAR layer to take advantage of the new features VAR has added?

Thanks
Lax

Hi Lax,

In situations like this, VAR and customer’s IT team work together.

1. First customer’s IT team informs VAR details of customisation they have made. And where needed, send CUS layer Xpo to VAR.
  2. This info will enable VAR cater to customer’s customization. VAR then sends amended layer file to customer.
  3. Some times customers might ask VAR to deploy their VAR layer first into their test environment.
  4. After testing once customer is happy, then layer gets deployed into production layer.

For comparison, you can use standard Ax code comparison tool. You can also merge code using this tool. But obviously merging has to be done by an experienced developer. More info is available in developers guide.

Regards,