Location Bin code feature????

hi all, I would like to know why Bin feature in Locations has been disabled in Navision Attain. If anybody has any reason please let me know. Thanx in advance Taj Ahmed Edited by - taj on 2001 Nov 07 09:00:55

I do not know for a fact, but I would speculate that the Bin feature might be made available in Attain early next year when the rest of the Advanced Distribution functionality is planned for release. It appears that all the Bin data fields, the Bin table, and some Bin related Help are there now, but it doesn’t look like Bins are active yet. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

For the time being, Stock Keeping Units may be an alternative. John

Thanx john, but stock keeping units really wont solve the customer requirements. TAA

If you really need Bins and you have development capability, it might be worth trying (on a test basis in Cronus) making the Bin fields visible and using them. Run through a variety of test transactions and see what happens. In a quick look at the various tables and fields affected by Bins, it appears everything is there in Attain. If you do go to the effort of doing this, let us know the results. Or you can wait for the rest of the Distribution functionality to be released by Navision. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner

I would like to add the following information that I just obtained to my preceding message: RE Bin Codes in Navision Attain 3.00, 3.01 and 3.10 Companies in need of subdividing inventory into bins should definitively use Warehouse Management Systems – planned to be released in 2002 – instead of customizing the old Bin Code. The old Bin Code has been removed from all forms, but the field is still there in all tables and related keys. But any processes where the old Bin Code is used, will not be supported by the new Warehouse Management functionality. It will be possible to upgrade from the old Bin Code to the new matching bin when the customer wants to use Warehouse Management Systems instead. In that case, the open quantities of the old bins should be moved to the new Warehouse Entry table that holds details of the inventory, and the old Bin Code field in the different forms should be removed during upgrading so as not to confuse the user. Upgrade from NAD 2.60 to NA 3.xx with WMS An upgrade tool will be made available. Upgrade from NA 3.00, 3.01 and 3.10 to NA 3.xx with WMS An upgrade tool – or at least some guidelines – will be made available. Until the release of WMS, it is recommended to avoid building new applications on top of the old Bin Code; especially if the application is aimed at fulfilling the same requirements that Warehouse Management Systems will do. Dave Studebaker das@libertyforever.com Liberty Grove Software A Navision Services Partner