Linking payments to Customer account

Well I’m new to NAV i have only been using it for 2 days and unfortunately our trainers didn’t explain everything quite well, so here goes…

We usually charge a customer in advance and therefore do not invoice them first so I will create a sales order, so what they are having us do instead of doing a prepayment is putting their payment in a cash receipt journal under the

Document type is payment ,account type its has their customer name, account No. is their customer number , and of course the amount. So shouln’t that payment appear in the customer card and show balance as -the amount of the payment since it has not been invoiced i look under ledger entries and nothing will show. Also after it’s invoiced do i have to apply the payment somehow or will it do that automatically. I have been working with QB and NAV is defintely much more complex.

I still haven’t even been taught how to make a deposit into our bank. and that is part of my responsibilities here.

Thanks in advance

“so what they are having us do instead of doing a prepayment is putting their payment in a cash receipt journal”

Are you posting the journal?

If not then that’s why you don’t see it in the customer ledger entries.

On the customer card you need to look at the “Application Method”
your choices are Manual, Apply To Oldest, Payment On Account.

If you are looking for automatic payment applying then Apply to oldest would be your choice.