Link a PDF file to the Item Card

We have many pdf files that relate to items we carry, such as a transmission diagram, or a trouble shooting document. I would like to create a link to the pdf on the item card, so I could open the file by clicking on the link. Is there an easy way to do this in version 3.70, haven’t asked my solution center yet, trying to see how complicated it is first. Thanks David

Make a field (or a subsidiary table) where you enter the path and filte name : c:\draw.pdf. Use HYPERLINK in code to open.

Yes, there’s. If you’re keeping the file externally and just entering on the item card the path to the file (with the file name) just a line of code is needed to open that file ( HYPERLINK(item.pdffilepath); ). If you’re wanting to keep the file on your database or you want to have more functionality, it’s just a matter on how much you’re wanting to have… :slight_smile:

Other waty could be that you attach PDF document with item and on the click of button ,say assist button you can open the same.We made use of this for attaching item drawing which can be referred anywhere with reference to a given item. Regards, Rajesh.

A packaged solution called Matriks will handle this. You can attach documents of any sort to several predefined tables, and can actually add some more with a little bit of coding. The solution is inexpensive, and we have been using it on NF 2.6 for a while now, and it works pretty good. It is even easier to implement with their newest version on Attain. www.matriks.com

Thanks for the solution. I’ve been using a much more complicated one for a long time. Note that HYPERLINK() works with any file type your system knows how to open (.DOC, .PPT, .BMP). I’d also add some checking before calling HYPERLINK since its error message is misleading if the file does not exist. IF EXISTS(filepath) THEN HYPERLINK(filepath) ELSE MESSAGE(‘Can’‘t find file %1’,filepath);

quote:

Originally posted by THaug
A packaged solution called Matriks will handle this. You can attach documents of any sort to several predefined tables, and can actually add some more with a little bit of coding. The solution is inexpensive, and we have been using it on NF 2.6 for a while now, and it works pretty good. It is even easier to implement with their newest version on Attain. www.matriks.com

I can imagine it is cheap, it is standard Navision.

What do you mean “standard Navision”? Isn’t Matriks an Add-On? I thought so…

Matriks is a add-on afaik, if it is standard, please let me know, so we won’t pay the bill for it[:D] (we’ve been just licensing it for 3.7) Since I’ve just seen the first implemtation in our version, I can’t say too much about it, but on first looks, it seems to work nice - you get a “Documents” Entry in your menu for e.g. Vendors, Customers, Items, and you can then add documents (any type) with description and categorization to the record.

I was just browsing their home page. They sell it for a little over 3000 EUR: http://www.matriks.com/matriksdoc3.html I think Nav Nav was refering to the same thing they say (I just didn’t understand it the first time): “Matriks Doc 3 is all Navision code C/AL - no external programs or black box stuff.”

We use Matriks…its a pretty good product. It can do a lot more than store a file.

I mean that the code to do it is in Navision. Just look at the interaction log entry functionality. You can use that standard Navision code, to do similar things…

Sorry to butt in but I have a problem doing similar,

I have posted the topic in various forums but no replys as of yet

I am trying to link Solidworks files (.sldasm .sldprt .slddrw) . When i try to link them i get a message saying hyperlink failed, Do you have any idea whats gong wrong,