Licence

Hi

I have inherited a Navision Attain 3.60 installation which is on a server that is over 10 years old. The person who installed it has now left. I want to move the installation to a new server but am having trouble finding the licence. Everytime I try and export the licence I get the following error message:

“The operating system cannot find the file C:\Program Files\Navision Attain\Client\fin.flf”

I have tried searching the local drive for this file to no avail. Can anyone tell me where I need to look? No here knows anything about this except how to use it and we can’t seem to find any documentation etc

Any help in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,

Are you running on SQL or Native DB ?

If Native then look in the C:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics NAV\Database Server directory on the server for a fin.flf and this is what you need.

Hi Dave

Thanks - we are running on SQL Server 2000 SP4

Tony

Hi Tony

Have you a current partner? If you do they should have copies and you can request it from them.

Dave

I don’t think we do have a partner as about year ago we changed to Sage for our accounting. No-one seems to know anything much here and the peolpe that did have left. I am trying to change servers as the current one is around 10 years old and the accounts team still dip into Navision occasionally. I have asked them to transfer all the data across to Sage, but they say it will take too much time.

Thanks
Tony

I’d consider a virtual server, if the system is only in use for historical information. That version of NAV is no longer supported, and will probably give you a lot of problems on a new server. By using a virtual machine you can install an ‘old’ OS that is supported for that version of NAV.

As for the license file… Your best bet is to look in the client installation folder in the program files folder, that’s where flf files are usually saved. Check on the computers of long time NAV users, the ones that have been in use for a long time. The NAV license on SQL Server is uploaded to SQL Server, but many times they get saved in the client folder by people who don’t know this.

It might be worth your while to pick up the phone and call the former NAV partner and see if they have a copy of the license in their archive.

Maybe this is a bit simple. But have you searched the whole server for “*.flf” using windows search? t

Thanks TonyH - it was the first thing I tried, but your suggestion was welcome as sometimes we forget the simple things.

Tony

I think the only option you are left with is getting you reseller of choice to get your license through voice. Otherwise perhaps, if the client is installed on another machine see if the .flf file has been copied to the client. t

Can you launch NAV and get into the database, IF so then select Tool, Licence Information, You should then see your license? If so then click export and export it to a fin.flf file name. This should give you a copy of your working licence.