Killing Process

We had a problem with a running process on our navision-Server: while i was creating a report we had a problem with out network. Thinking a reboot of my PC would solve the problem i rebootet my PC without closing navision correctly (my PC didn’t do anything, so i switched the power-button off and on). This resulted in the problem, that i was still logged onto the navision-server and couldn’t save changes in reports or forms, because i was always told, that User StefanWeinreich (me) was using the object table. This may be, because when the network-problem occured i was saving my current report. The only way to kill my old running session was to reboot the navision-server. Is there a better way to kill a process (or a user-session) than to reboot the whole server ? thanks in advance Stefan Weinreich Billing Analyst

Server problems can be located in the NT-parameters. Look into HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\TCPIP\Parameters for Keep Alive. There you will see, how long it takes, NT will not recognize that you have killed your process. Another way (always and the last one) is to erase the zup-file, in your case in the server directory.

It can take up to 2 hours before TCP sees that the session has ended. You could just stop and start the navision service on the sever, but this kicks everybody else off! Paul Baxter

Thanks for your help. Michael: i had a look at the position in the registry you described, but i didn’t find anything. We’re using Novell, perhaps that’s why i didn’t find it. Does the local erasing of the zup-file tell the server, that this session is killed ? When i logged in again my session was opened twice, so the zup-file didn’t prevent me from open a second session ?!.. Paul: is there a way to speed up the process of telling the server that this TCP doesn’t keep a session ? Could i tell the server manually that it should terminate a specific session ? Stefan Weinreich Billing Analyst

Stefan, the ZUP-file ‘dbms’ is on the Server, where you have installed NAVISION, not on your local machine. When you erase your local zup-file, your personal configuration is deleted too. So I don’t know, what happens, when you erase the dbms.zup-file, sorry. Paul is right, it can take two hours. If you don’t see anything in your registry, then it lasts 2 hours. I have looked into the dbms.zup-file, not really readable, but it might help, if you stop and start the Navision-Service (on a NT-Server).