Job scheduler

I have a question regarding the Job scheduler. In several postings i read about “the job scheduler in our service module”. When I check the pricelist, this seems right. However, when I check the demanded modules, no service modules are required. Only the modules that will be adressed are needed. It seems like the job scheduler can be sold apart from any module. Can anyone confirm that?

Peter, “job scheduler” can work alone, without any granule from sevice module. So you can buy it and use it for different modules. I use it for posting “internal companies” between different companies, creating production orders, … and I haven’t bought the service module. Nico

Correct, we use it also as a separate granule out of the Service module. Nico, I have a question about it: do you start the Scheduler in a client session on your server, or do you have another (better) method?

Michiel, For the moment I start 6 client with the job schedular as main screen. (6 different companies) I hoping to do this with 1 or 2 NAS to reduce my license. Nico

Hi Nico, I also dislike the fact that you should run a client to have the scheduler function. I read about NAS in some threads in this forum. Sounds good. I’ll contact my NSC to have me informed about it.

[LaserNet Output Management contains among other a schedule and sort module. You can read more about it at this link. http://www.efstech.com/LaserNet_Schedule___Sort.170.1.html

Is there add-on for a Scheduler based on NAS which has the following functionalities : - Import/Export files (with an acknowledgment system which tells SALE_ORDERY has been integrated at HHMMSS by Location Code Texas) - Retransmission of file is file has not been acknowledge by a biz partner or a subsidiary - Zip functionalities to ZIP a set of file which have been exported by the Scheduler - FTP functionalities to upload and download files - Checksum functionalities so if a file has been corrupted during FTP file transmission then it cannot be imported into Navision Currently we’ve got a scheduler (which has been written before MBS came up with the job scheduler in the Service module) It’s just a form running the OnTimer Trigger It does the job (we exchange files with about 5 biz partners and a dozen of subsidiaries) Some of the Data (EDI Files) we exchange is quite critical (our WareHouse is outsourced so all the picking of sales orders and receving of containers is done via EDI file) So I was wondering if there was a more robust tool than what we’ve got now … Some people would suggest BizTalk but I think it’s still too expensive and I think it can be a pain to maintain and Administer. I believe there is room for a mid range add-on which will have more functionalities than Navision Standard Job Scheduler and will be less expensive than BizTalk. What are your opinions ? My market survey is over [:D]

quote:

Originally posted by Tarek Demiati
Some people would suggest BizTalk but I think it’s still too expensive and I think it can be a pain to maintain and Administer.

Tarek, Look at Messaging Portal from Tie: www.tie.nl. Go to the download section and look for a pdf file ‘Tie Messaging Portal V3.3 Technical Facts’. You can use this as centralized messaging solution that handles data formats from EDIFACT, XML, XBRL, flat files, etc. and can send through protocols like X.400, SMTP, FTP and so on. Error handling, triggers, everything included. And of course: not as expensive as BizzTalk [:)]

Michiel : Do you know any site running Navision with Tie Message Portal ?

No, I don’t. Actually, I’m investigating the possible solutions in the EDI area for my own organization, and our NSC is distributor for Tie. For Navision they sell an EDI add-on wich integrates with the Tie product. Just send me an e-mail and I will forward you the details.

I’m not familiar with NAS (Navision Applicationn Server) How can you manage 6 companies with one or two NAS if you’ve got 6 jobs scheduled at the same time in the 6 companies ? You still need 6 NAS connections (6 Navision sessions ???) Or am I missing something …

quote:

Originally posted by NicoV
Michiel, For the moment I start 6 client with the job schedular as main screen. (6 different companies) I hoping to do this with 1 or 2 NAS to reduce my license. Nico

I’m not familiar with NAS (Navision Applicationn Server) How can you manage 6 companies with one or two NAS if you’ve got 6 jobs scheduled at the same time in the 6 companies ? You still need 6 NAS connections (6 Navision sessions ???) Or am I missing something …

quote:

quote:

I know that NAS requires you to log in to a specific company to start with. I suppose NAS could use the CHANGECOMPANY() command to log in to multiple companies. Not sure if it works as I’ve never tried it. Regards, edd

I guess you could read data when performing a CHANGECOMPANY but I wonder if you could POST a document after a CHANGECOMPANY.

true… Its a bit messy, but how about this for 2 NAS sessions for many companies: 1) NAS#1 starts up and logs in, reading a table where DataPerCompany is false. 2) Whenever a job is submitted by a company, it writes to this central table, including its own company name. 2) NAS#1 periodically reads this table and writes a file to a filesystem directory specifying which company and which job to run eg. job 300 3) A programme external to navision notices the file and starts up NAS#2 with the company parameters. I suppose if automation is possible with NAS, NAS#1 could start itself. 4) Once the job completes, NAS#2 is not designed to wait, but closes immediately. 5) External programme notes closed programme and deletes the file. NAS#1 notes that file is deleted and starts processing the next job. (Continues indefinitely). [xx(] If it were up to me, I would just shell out for 5 separate NAS sessions !! :slight_smile: edd