item tracking lines customization

hi all

can anyone please guide about a small customization in the item tracking lines, while in the purchase order I want a prefix of the lot no. as to be ‘I’ by default and while in output journal it should be ‘J’.

in nutshell, while purchasing the item it should have ‘I’ as a prefix in the lt no and while producing the item it should have ‘J’ as the prefix of the lot number.

I would suggest you first create the Lot nos. in the Lot no. information table and then use them on Purchase and production side.

I would suggest you first create the Lot nos. in the Lot no. information table and then use them on Purchase and production side. Adding prefix on the fly is not advisable.

can you please elaborate the problems that would arise.

Order tracking entry table where its temporarily stored before posting is shared by Sales, Purchase and other documents and you have to do more customization and you have to be very precise in your customization and if your code conflicts with other documents then you will have issues with your Lot nos., hence creating up front in the Lot no. information table and then using the Lot no. makes more sense. You will have to train the user to let them know that ‘I’ means purchase and ‘J’ means production Lot nos.