Is there a Company Limit?

Guys, Is there a maximum limit to the number of Companies which can exist in a database? If there were many (i.e. over 100), would it dramatically effect performance? Regards, Alex.

I never met the limit, we have customers with loads and loads of companies. Never tested more than 100 though. Navision creates a tabledata instance for every table for every company, so from that point of view you need not to worry for performance issues. It is more the concurrent users per company and the server capacity that is the problem I guess.

Hi Alex Granule 1140 is unlimited companies. This is sold as part of the Foundation layer, so from 3.60 (?) onwards you would always have unlimited companies. However in earlier versions you had to buy the number of companies you wanted, but this is 4 years ago or so, or I maybe just getting confused as I am not in sales! [:D]

Actually, Granule 1140 rewards you with 10.000.000 companies. So, there is still a limit, albeit a very “unlimited” one… [:D]

Keep in mind that “Company Name” is actually field 0 in every table. I am not sure if has changed in later versions, but in earlier versions of Navision, it meant that locking a table in one comonay actually locked it in all companies, and I never tried it with SQL. Anyway, I have run about 150 companies with no major problems, but they were all small commpanies, most without inventory, and few sales orders. Just check if cross company locking still occurs, because that can be a problem. By the way, in any case, posting 100 orders per day each in 100 companies will be no worse than posting 10,000 orders in one company; performance wise.

Ta, The client uses 370 so 10.000.000 companies should last a while! The volume of records per company will be very small, so from the replies above I feel safe in the knowledge that there are no problems in the foreseeable future. Thanks for you time. Alex

On SQL Server, each company gets its own set of physical tables. Using the Item table in COmpany A will do nothing to company B’s Item table, because they are physically two different tables.