Is .NET the future

Hi all In http://www.navision.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3195 we read about Navision moving to C# and .NET. We have all had a week (well ok we have hade more than a year) to look at VS .NET and C#, this looks to be the future things are moving in. I wonder what people thoughts are on the product. My personal thoughts about C# is that it is VB with C syntax, and there is nothing wrong with that. What VS .NET has is common librarys so the languages will tend to be a simular format. The .NET librarys seem to cover most areas but there are new methods and calling conventions to learn. Things are much cleaner that before as most functions have developed over the last 5-10 years changed there name and scope. In the future we will wonder why sending mail used to be more difficult than System.Web.Mail.SmtpMail.Send(FromString, ToString, SubjectString, MessageString) What are your thoughts on what you have seen Paul Baxter

Hi Paul, I’ve just attended launching of VS.Net a couple of days ago in Malaysia. Yeah, it’s pretty late and I agree. Nevertheless, it’s cool. We all have seen that VS.Net has the advantage of having CLR which is similar to Virtual Maching in SUN. Now that means multiplatforms. [img]/forum/images/icon_smile.gif" border=“0”> With that, we have to change some of existing code in current system which had been written in VB to suit the new technology. VS.Net is a great product and that brings me to make a subthread in this discussion.I come from VB world and having to work with Navision means that my focus is now on C/SIDE.However, I have a strong interest in Microsoft products. To those who have been working with other programming language tools will find that there are many limitations on C/SIDE and really miss those programming tools. I would like to invite all of you who are in similar environment to share your opinions. Does it mean working with Navision totally shut us out from working with other programming languages? Well, I understand we can still create some OCX to work with Navision. But is that all? What is that in Navision that still keep you guys who are language guru to continue to work with C/SIDE? I’m curious… Edited by - skchong on 2002 Mar 25 02:31:12