Invoice Discount

For a current project, we need to do create few discounts for All Customers, without the item codes. In Sale Invoice, it will look like this : Type No. Qty AMount GL GL001 1 100 GL GL002 1 100 Discount 10% -20 Net 180 Can anyone shed some light since Navision is having Customer/Item Discount. Thanks ! [;)]

Hi Set up an Invoice discount for your first customer - i.e. 10% and then use this on each 10% discount customer on the invoicing tab in the Invoice Discount Code field. Then set other appropriate percentages as bands - this is also currency driven. I presume you are looking at the pricing matrix for the customer/item set-up.

Steven, The above solution doesn’t work with Sales Lines of the type “G/L Account” where “Allow Invoice Disc.” is set to FALSE default. Of course, you can make the “Allow Invoice Disc.” field visible and and set it to TRUE on each line (but I guess it’s FALSE for a good reason).

Hi sv Sorry I read it differently - now I read it they way you have I see what you mean. I thought it was a discount unrelated to items, not as you rightly point out a discount for a GL transaction. Thanks for pointing that out!

Hi Thanks for the feedback…so sorry what is the conclusion ? Navision standard Discount does not work ??? Customisations need to be done ? [V]

No, the invoice discount works fine. If you sell G/L accounts, you’ll need to specify the Gen. Prod. Posting Group. The reason being thta Navision needs to find hte proper G/L account for invoice discount.

Maybe this can apply here… We put in many many orders and it was a slow down for in every order we had to add a g/l “freight out” line manually. The slow down occurs when the type has to be changed to g/l from item etc etc. So we created a Item# (999) called freight. We set up special posting groups that would hit all the the same g/l accounts as if we stopped and made it g/l “type”. Works great and I guess as a bonus we could apply discounts just like any other item but you can also select it as no discount applies. that’s what we use. point being you could set up an item # to do something other that just inventory I hope that made sence - it’s late Sat night…[|)]

quote:

| Maybe this can apply here… We put in many many orders and it was a slow down for in every order we had to add a g/l “freight out” line manually. The slow down occurs when the type has to be changed to g/l from item etc etc. So we created a Item# (999) called freight. We set up special posting groups that would hit all the the same g/l accounts as if we stopped and made it g/l “type”. Works great and I guess as a bonus we could apply discounts just like any other item but you can also select it as no discount applies. that’s what we use. point being you could set up an item # to do something other that just inventory I hope that made sence - it’s late Sat night…[|)]
Originally posted by savatage99 - 2005 Jul 09 : 20:22:58
|
| - |

Can I ask how your Costing works out? - And how about the Inventory to G/L Reconcile??? [8D]

I posted a reply here yesterday, but it vanished? This is happening a lot now, maybe its the flood control. [:(!] Anyway, Savatage,you should not use Items as PL accounts [No], it is just asking for problems. Yes I know you can set up the posting groups to handle it, but it just leads to too many problems. Even if you have the Inventory and COGS accounts pointing to the PL, you will still be generating a lot of unecessary GL transactions. A better solution is to spend the 15 minutes of coding it takes to make it possible to purchase resources. These are pure PL transactions with no BS hit at all.

quote:

Can I ask how your Costing works out? - And how about the Inventory to G/L Reconcile??? [8D]
Originally posted by Hhelgesen - 2005 Jul 11 : 17:48:44

This was set up for us long long ago. But This is what it’s doing. item created “999” for order entry ease - description “Freight” All costs are ZERO Journal entry made to enter 1,000,0000 qty on hand @ ZERO A new General Product Posting Group was created also called FREIGHT where all G/L accounts (in the General Posting Setup) are set to G/L account “Freight Out”. Our NSC set this up for our ease - The theory being that this will hit the same G/L accounts as if changing the TYPE on the sales order to G/L and entering the same “Freight Out” G\L # but without having to back to the mouse on every order. Last we entered Prices we want to charge for freight by Price Group.

An even easier way is just to use Resource in Navision. Resources by default requires Gen. Prod. Posting Group so the user wouldn’t even have to think about it when selling it.

quote:

item created “999” for order entry ease - description “Freight” All costs are ZERO Journal entry made to enter 1,000,0000 qty on hand @ ZERO A new General Product Posting Group was created also called FREIGHT where all G/L accounts (in the General Posting Setup) are set to G/L account “Freight Out”.

What abou the inventory posting group and all other related accounts in the inventory posting setup. If you run the Post Inventory Cost to G/L would it not throw errors if these accounts are not set?

Well I will leave it to the experts, but I have seen a lot of users use Items as Resources, and it always is probelmatic. I still say use resources, it is much easier. Items are for things that need to be represented on the Balance Sheet, they are not for direct PL transactions.