Inventory reports does not reconcile with G/L

hi all, why is it that the inventory reports in navision does not reconcile with the G/L in Navision? for example, the “Item Age Composition - Value” report does not reconcile with G/L Account in navision. why?

It generally indicats that your setup is incorrect. It will probably be an error in how the posting groups have ben setup.

…or it can be a Navision error. soya

It is very unlikely to be a Navision error. I see many clients with this error, and it is almost always because of incorrect setup of posting groups. PS Soya, I am guessing from your remarks that you have found a bug somewhere, could you please let us know where it is.

i am viewing these figures in a standard cronus navision database. that can;t be wrong rite?

Are you using Navision 3.6? If yes, do you have all the improvements?

Hi Jordan Would you mind detailing the specifics in Cronus, I’ll load up the UK version and see if its the same, I might even have a go at telling you why! [:D]

The problem is that Cronus is a numebr fo companies in one… a furniture company using BOMs, a Bicycle company using Manufacturing, and a company that distributes HiFi. WHislt it is possible to set these all up correctly, unfortunately they were really just three companies tied together in one, so nothing really balances. And YES I know, … even in Base Cronus for the furniture, the Gen Posting Groups are setup all wrong. Don’t even THINK of setting your client up like that, otherwise I will guarantee that the reports will not reconcile

Have you run Adjust Item Cost Entries and Posted to G/L?

Sorry for the ignorance, but could you please shed some light why the CRONUS setup is not correct… to be honest the online help isn’t really a big help in this setup… Thanks. Nils

1. just load your standard navision database. 2. run the adjust cost and post cost to G/L 3. run an inventory report in G/L. e.g. Item Age composition value. 4. compare the figures you see in the total and compare it with the figures u see in the G/L it’s different. and i wonder, how can navision inventory be implemented if the reports do not tie to G/L? how can the users verify that their figures are correct?

The Inventory Valuation and the Inventory reconcile to G/L report are both correct and incorrect. Both reports DOES give you the correct inventory values HOWEVER: 1. Inventory Valuation report will skip 0 quantity items with values (from Item Charge, I can show how you can duplicate this problem step by step if you’re interested) 2. Inventory to G/L Reconcile report will skip items with positive quantities with value of less than zero. Yes, both of these scenerios does not make sense in the real world. However, errors happens and rounding entries happen. There are probably other scenerios where the reports will not match G/L. If you know more, please post them. This has been reported to Navision already, just don’t know when they’re going to get back to me on this…

Assuming you are running 3.6. I was able to get the inventory valuation report in 3.6 not to agree to the inventory to GL reconcile. I logged a case on the support web site and they sent me the inventory valuation report from 3.70 and it worked. There is definitely a problem with this report in 3.6. You can directly import the 3.7 report into 3.6. You will likely have to create 1 new key on a table I can’t recall if it is item ledger entry or value entry. Another thing to check if is if you have errant rounding entries in you value entry table.

Hi there I have just had an issue with a customer where they are a manufacturing company on Ver 3.6. After a lot of research we found that we had to add the WIP-valuation report to the Inventory to G/L Reconcile report to actually reconcile to the General Ledger. Does anyone have a good handle on the reconciliation between inventory and the GL or better yet some documentation? We also have differences between the Inventory to G/l Reconcile report and the Inventory Valuation report which I am now looking at which I am hoping are similar to the ones described above. But I think it may be more than that as we have had major issues with lot tracking etc. Regards, Derek

I go back to my earlier statement that MOST reconciliation errors go back to either bad training or bad setup. All NSC implementers and developers owe it to them selves to spend the time learning how navision posts inventory values to the g/l. This does not mean just reading the manually, it means posting hundreds of sales and purchases, as well as manufacturing and inv adustments. it will be time and money well spent.

I agree you need to spend a whole bunch of time to understand costing in Navision but there are several “known” issues with Costing in 3.6. As a start I would make sure you have up to Improvement 30 in your 3.6 database. (this will help a pile of your lot control issues as well) You defintely need to combine the inventory valuation report with the WIP valuation report. Once a consumption entry is posted it will come off of your inventory valuation report and show up on your Inventory WIP valuation report until the production order is finished and all applied entries are fully invoiced.

In your first point - Inventory Valuation report will skip 0 quantity items with values… You say you duplicate this. Can you please tell me how to look for this problem[?] Colleen

quote:

Originally posted by achowtc
The Inventory Valuation and the Inventory reconcile to G/L report are both correct and incorrect. Both reports DOES give you the correct inventory values HOWEVER: 1. Inventory Valuation report will skip 0 quantity items with values (from Item Charge, I can show how you can duplicate this problem step by step if you’re interested) 2. Inventory to G/L Reconcile report will skip items with positive quantities with value of less than zero. Yes, both of these scenerios does not make sense in the real world. However, errors happens and rounding entries happen. There are probably other scenerios where the reports will not match G/L. If you know more, please post them. This has been reported to Navision already, just don’t know when they’re going to get back to me on this…

I’m trying to reconcile GL accounts assigned in the General Posting Setup for the Invt. Accrual Account (Interim) and need some help please.

Can anyone tell me how to balance Expected Cost accounts for Received Not Invoiced and Shipped Not Invoiced from the Inventory to G/L Reconcile Report when Posting Groups drive all Purchase Type entries to the Invt. Accrual Account (Interim) yet the Report will placed purchase return orders in the Shipped Not Invoiced column on the report.

I can reconcile Interim Inventory to Expected Cost total overall, but not the AP accrual account since report amounts shift between the columns…Please help!

Thank You in Advance.

Carol