Integration of bare-code data in batch process

Customer would like to manage inventory with bare-code in batch mode (RF impossible to implement)in NF 26. What solution should be the easiest for final user. Type of transaction to manage are: putting in warehouse, transfer, delivery, inventory count (so quite standard functionalities). I fear that if I use dataport and let user choose between a lot of files, mistakes will appear frequently. Terminal can send TXT, DLL and start EXEC on workstation. Data is coming from several warehouses. Uploading process should be automate so that user don’t have to care. Does some of you already meet this situaton and what was the solution to this problem. Thank you for your kind help

Hi Vincent, I have been involved in some very similar projects. The scenario is, that some external process (Bar code terminal, “old” customer’s application or even web page) is generating some data, that have to be processed in Navision. First I would reccomend to create two distinguis processes - One process for importing data from TXT (CSV,…) into some Navision “queue” table. Second process for processing data from this queue. Reasons for this are at least two: If importing process for any reason stops, then the processing can stil continue and other way around. At any time you can change way how to get data into Navision. For example do not use Navision Import, but external program to create the records in Navision using ODBC or SQL. The processing procedure is independent on way how the data arrive into Navision. If you decide to import data into Navision using dataport then you can use some directory into which will terminals create TXT files. Navision can check this directory and if there is TXT file then Navi import it into queue table. There is one problem: you have to ensure, that Navision will not start import the file before the file is closed by terminal export programm. I hope this helps Michal

quote:

There is one problem: you have to ensure, that Navision will not start import the file before the file is closed by terminal export programm.

This problem can be easily be solved as follows: Navision only imports file with extension .TXT. The exporting application writes it’s data into a .TMP file to avoid sharing violation. After export is done the .TMP file is being closed and renamed into .TXT. ------- With best regards from Switzerland Marcus Fabian