Importing data into Navision DB from TopSpeed DB

I am involved into customization and implementation of Attain 3.10. We wish to import data from TopSpeed database.Topspeed is an European RDBMS. Hence,we were thinking if there is any way in Attain 3.10 that I can directly import data from Topspeed into navision database,instead of transferring into an CSV or text file? Can anyone suggest how we can program a dataport to continuosly import data ? Meenal Talele Senior Software Engineer V2 Infotech India Pvt. Ltd. V2 Infotech Connecting Strategy with Technology…

Hi There might several ways to solve your problem: 1. If TopSpeed supply an Automation Control capable of fetching data from the database, you should be able to use such an Automation Control from within Navision. 2. Does TopSpeed include an ODBC driver? If yes, you could use ASP/ADO from within Navision and transfer the data via a datasource pointing to the database. This was just some hints. I hope they will be of use to you. Regards Michael

Sorry Meenal I didn’t see that you were asking on how to use a dataport to do the job. Sorry :slight_smile: Are you thinking on having a timer driven dataport running as an client and fetching data directly from the TopSpeed database? Regards Michael

Hi again Try and take a look at the thread at: http://dbforums.com/t243578.html Regards Michael

Hi Micheal, That immediate reply really helped a lot. But can you explain in more details abt how the conversion can be done thru’ a dataport? Thanks, Meenal Meenal Talele Senior Software Engineer V2 Infotech India Pvt. Ltd. V2 Infotech Connecting Strategy with Technology…

Hi again Do you have an ODBC driver for the database? In you want an open Navision session to fetch data every 15 minutes, you could use a form instead of a dataport. Forms have a OnTimer trigger, and a property called Timeinterval. You could set the timerinterval to 15 minutes(remember that it must be calculated into milliseconds), and do the programming on the OnTimer trigger. This code should make the ODBC call(by using ASP etc.). You can find the ASP code for accessing databases elsewhere in this forum. Feel free to ask more questions. Regards Michael

Hi Micheal, Yes,let us go by the assumption that I have the driver. I agree with the part of calling the driver thru’ a form at a pre-set timer. But what I am confused is abt the use of ASP? Why cannot I do it thru’ C/AL code? Do U have any samples in C/AL code in which a form is calling a driving? Please guide further. Meenal Talele Senior Software Engineer V2 Infotech India Pvt. Ltd. V2 Infotech Connecting Strategy with Technology…