Import data for 60 different companies + Post

I think here we have an interesting problem… We work with a customer managing 60 different companies. Yes… 60 !!! The companies can be in different currencies, but are very simple by the fact that they all have the same chart of accounts, Accnt Schedules, Dimensions, etc. We receive a file from a Portfolio Mngmt Software that gives all the GL transactions for all the companies. The information for all companies is in the same file and this file should populate the Gen. Jnls in each companies, and also post (!), if possible! My first thought was to build a dataport to import all the data at the same time (see http://www.mbsonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8533) and to use the change company to populate the different Gen Jnl, and then the user would have to open every 50 company to post (and validate) the entries. But now, I have some doubts… specially with the behavior of the VALIDATE() function when using change company. So my question is: If I import the data in a new table, how could it be possible to build an automatic posting of the General Ledger Entries working for all the 60 companies, without the need to have the user open every company and the hit the post button?

Just brainstorming: Read data into a “Global” table (DataPerCompany = No). Let each company read and post (it’s own) data from this table using a batchmodule of your own choice (see other thread).

A general answer is that the Post Function has to be run from each Company. Setting up a global table allows your dataport to import the records into one table, but there will still have to be something run in each Company to extract the Data from this table and post. As the other thread states, the job scheduler in service is a good option to run a process except for the fact that I think you would need to run 60 instances (One for each company)…not realistic in this case. That leaves you with NAS…

chris wrote >> “That leaves you with NAS…” Some questions about NAS → Is NAS possible to change company global, or have you to start 60 NAS-clients ? Thanks in advance, Nico

It could be possible with just two NAS services running at the same time. See here: http://www.mbsonline.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8533

Hi. Just an idea. Is it really critical to create 60 Co’s in a database? Couldn’t you just manage the whole batch of the companies through a global dimension? In this way you have 1 Nav. company and perform posting easily. A lot of other problems disapear as well (but others come in place ) [|)]

quote:

Originally posted by Student Just an idea. Is it really critical to create 60 Co’s in a database? Couldn’t you just manage the whole batch of the companies through a global dimension? …

We thought about this idea, but we were worried about the fact the not all the companies are in the same currencies, and the taxes are also changing with the location of each company.