Import a long text field

Hi, We have a file we’re going to need to import on a regular basis, but I’m having problems figuring out the best way to import it. The file is pipe-delimited variable field length, and the problem is that the last field can be any length (usually around 2000 characters), ie more than the dataport can cope with as standard. I’ve tried messing around with the InStream datatype, but I’m not sure if this is the best or easiest way. The format of the file is A|B|C Where A is a single control character B is Item number C is unlimited text Any help/advice would be much appreciated Many thanks Justin Justin Tucker Navision Support/Analyst Home Entertainment Corporation

In version 1.2 to 2.5 (I think) there was a Compare Toolkit on the Product CD (it may still be available at your NTR). In the Comnpare Toolkit there is a dataport, with a Trigger called ProcessLongLine which handles long text lines. Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

Hi, thanks for the info I checked that out, but the objects in the Compare toolkit are outside the range of our license. Also it’s a codeunit which we can’t get at with our license! Also sorry I forgot to say we are using Attain 3.01B client. Many thanks Justin

Hi Justin. Try to export the dataport as Text format, and then copy/paste the code into your own dataport. Alternatively, if that’s not possible, have your NSC move the dataport to an object number that you have design access to. That should not cost you too much. Lars Strøm Valsted ------------------------- Why can’t programmers tell the difference between Christmas and Halloween? Because OCT(31) = DEC(25)

Hi, We can’t export as text with our license either! Don’t suppose anypne can cut ‘n’ paste it here can they? :slight_smile: Justin Justin Tucker Navision Support/Analyst Home Entertainment Corporation