implementing TABLE SHARING

anyone any experience/feedback on implementing Table Sharing for Items or for Customers ? any feedback on how table sharing respects multiple currencies in a multi-company configuration (e.g. PO’s in different currencies/companies affecting Item invoicing data) ? Thanks

It can be done, but it will take some work. Just changing the property on the itemtable won’t be enough, you ned to check which related tables will also have to be shared, and which fields will need to be put in a new(company-specific) table. Also keep in mind that you’ll probably need a new set of No. series (tables, forms and codeunit to contain the (shared) no.series for items. When checking for related tables to share, make sure to check the related tables for their relations (Sharing the Inventory Posting Group makes no sense if the GL isn’t shared). HTH Dennis van Es QwinSoft bv The Netherlands

And when You share tables You must be aware of the OnDelet Trigger. Look at table 15 for example. The controls that are made there when You delete an account must be placed inside a loop which runs through all the companies and does a CHANGECOMPANY. All this is done in in codeunit 361. //Lars

We have multiple companies where we need to keep many of fields (but not all) in the item table synchronized. One purchasing department handles all companies and they only have to enter/edit/delete an item in one company and it flows through to all others. They are also prevented from making any inadvertent changes in the other companies. It took a bit of setup but it works well now and everything has remained in sync.

quote:

Originally posted by Lars Westman: And when You share tables You must be aware of the OnDelet Trigger. Look at table 15 for example. The controls that are made there when You delete an account must be placed inside a loop which runs through all the companies and does a CHANGECOMPANY. All this is done in in codeunit 361. //Lars

There is a live database out there which I did all the programming for which has many shared tables. A shared table is a table which has the DataPerCompany value set to no. But I don’t remember doing anything to the OnDelete() triggers or to Codeunit 361. Oops! However, I did begin with an intercompany addon which Navision USA produced for v. 1.* and I simply ported this to v 2.1 and later to 2.6. We shared many tables, including the chart of accounts, the Customer table, the Vendor table, all the PG tables, and the Project table, etc. (as well as some new tables we created for the client) Things went OK until the company got sold to new owners who wanted to have DIFFERENT charts of accounts (though not different Vendor no.s, Customer no.s, etc.) in their database. Changing the chart of accounts was a pain, We had to back up all the companies into a separate FBK file and them re-import them all into a new DB after changing the properties of many tables. ------- Tim Horrigan horrigan@aol.com

You can use better and simpler way to return from shared tables: - Disable OnDelete() trigger - Export data to file (dataport) - Delete all data from table - Change DataPerCompany to Yes (Default) - Restore data from file into each company - Enable OnDelete() trigger Verified, works. Not very pain… Business Applications Programmer Sertified Navision Developer SIA “Sintegra” Latvia

I think that many of you gave good feedback but missed oned important aspect of Everts question which was: respects multiple currencies in a multi-company configuration (e.g. PO’s in different currencies/companies affecting Item invoicing data) ? In reading the various suggestions I have some concerns: 1. Take for example if you had the two companies within the database, one company pretending to be in US $, the other company pretending to be on CDN$ and you share the item table. 2. When you post an invoice in the US company the Direct Unit Cost = 100 US but the CDN value would be $150. How would the system update the item card being used between both companies? As Navison always updates after item ledger posting the item cards average cost, unit cost and direct unit cost fields. _________________________ Wendy O’Connor Practice Leader woconnor@csbsystems.com CSB Systems Calgary, Alberta T2R 1L9 T:(403) 233-2955 x 224 F:(403) 233-2957

If You need to handle this situation You can create a separate table containing the fields that should be company specific and create flow fields in the item table pointing to this table. Of course You also have to change the logic in cu22 where the cost fields on the item is updated. You probably also wan’t the Reorder point and some other fields per company //Lars