Implementation when client legacy server crashes

Working on client implementation for BC. Their legacy system server crashed and that provider has been less than helpful. Legacy program is 20+ years old, which is why they want to change.

We have client’s previous UE2020 physical inventory, May21 month Trial Balance and Master Data for customers, vendors, and items as well as the recently approved, updated Chart of Accounts that we extracted.

I think we can get them set up for Sales Orders and Purchase Orders right away. Client staff could re-enter June sales orders. Then we’d focus on the accounting side.and bookkeeper could re-enter/generate POs and payables.

In this situation, what would you recommend?

Hello,

Are you saying you cannot access the legacy database at all but you have information for Beginning or Ending 2020, 5/21 Trail Balance and Master Data. So you can import and setup and then the customer would post every transaction from 5/21 forward. They will also need to enter Open AR and Open AP entries in the subledger. Also, Open Bank transaction not reconciled. This is good and the best I can see. Unless you can get into the legacy then this would be a sound approach.

Thanks,

Steve

Thanks for confirming what I was thinking, Steve. Your answer confirms my initial recommendation to them. Will move forward with the solution and let them wrangle with legacy provider.

So, I left a meeting on this situation the legacy provider and the client. The legacy provider is going to provide customer history in Excel spreadsheets from the most recent backup in June 2021. For the “accounting” information, the legacy provider is going to set up a Windows XP laptop as a “virtual server” and reinstall the 25+ year old app that was written in Open Basic and installed on an HP Proliant SCO Unix OpenServer (crash site).

Learned in this meeting that May 2021 Trial Balance is no good and May remains open. What are my best options with this new information?

Hello,

So the May 2021 Trail Balance for the Month is no good or Year-to-Date thru 5/31/21? If the month of May, what is the issue or does someone know? I have to assume that the Trial Balance balances thru 5/31/21, period, so whatever the issue is you will need to bring forward and try to resolve in BC. Note that if the Trail Balance for the Month of May 2021 or YTD May 2021 balances to 0.00, you have a great starting point and then can discuss why May has issues.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Steve

Hi, Steve.

I have some more feedback re this situation. See below:

UPDATE:

Legacy provider issues surface again. Waiting for action on their part.

YE2020, print docs. Jan - Apr 2021 print financial statements. May2021, no trial balance, other data etc. with the exception of the may2021 open AR/AP that I pulled to see if we could get data from system.

Current situation:

– Jan 1-15 data in legacy system backup.

– Jan 16-22 data in system, no backup

– Jan 23 - present, paper/email documents

I’d appreciate any other thoughts that you might have.

Thanks.

Hello,

So if I am reading you correctly, the period of Jan 16-22 you have no paperwork or backup to know what occurred. However, you have a Financial Statement for January 2021. You have all the detail before and after this date range for January. I would say at least enter the detail you have and then compare to the Financial Statement of January 2021. Any differences you will need to book a General Journal Entry. Now, the only issue is for the AR and AP you will not know the actual Customer or Vendor. When you get to May 2021 Open AR and AP, you can reconcile and correct this General Journal to the actual Customer/Vendor, if the balance is still open. As you move forward to February, March, etc. this entry will need to be evaluated as the sub-ledger will changed and this entry will effect that up or down.

If you can get to May 1 2021 you will have a documented and balanced GL and Trial Balance. Moving forward I hope you can pull all the AP, AR, Payroll, and other transactions to recreate to catch-up. Not sure if this is humanly possible, but you can at least get to current month.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve…

My head was on backwards. Please substitute June for the Jan dates. See below:

CORRECTION:

Current situation:

– Jun 1-15 data in legacy system backup.

– Jun 16-22 data in system, no backup

– Jun 23 - present, paper/email documents

I’d appreciate any other thoughts that you might have.

Eve,

Probably faster if we speak on Teams. Send me an email message steven.chinsky@wipfli.com with what time zone you are in and I will send an invite.

Thanks,

Steve