if there is value, can't be edited

Dear all:

I want to realize this, if there is a value in the a field, like customer name in the customer table, once there is value input, the next time use access the form, the value can’t be edited. is there any quick or easy solution to thie, thanks in advance!

So you want to enter the value for first time and then you want to set editable false in Customer Name?

or you laredy have values and directly want to set editable no

Also think through your request.

I’m sure you don’t want it completely non-editable.

A change might have to be made at a later time.

In the beginning when we started using nav - users would click on the customer name field and start typing.

they forgot to hit the find button first. On non-editable fields you could just type but editable ones you cannot.

You might want to try the InlineEditing property first to see if helps solve whatever issue you have.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd355160.aspx

i want the user enter the value for the first time, and later the field is not editable. i am afraid some customization is needed.

thanks!

actually i want it to be completely non-editable. even the value the user input is wrong by mistake, when the value is wrong, they need to create a new customer but not changing the existing wrong record. (customer table is just an example, i am actually talking about a new table not in standard navision).

thanks!

actually i want it to be completely non-editable. even the value the user input is wrong by mistake, when the value is wrong, they need to create a new customer but not changing the existing wrong record. (customer table is just an example, i am actually talking about a new table not in standard navision).

Yes, you need to customize it.

In fact this is not a very unusual request. I have worked with several customers who want their sales people to be able to create the Customers, but once created they are not allowed to change it again. Well they are allowed to change names, addresses and phone no.'s etc, but not to touch any of the actual customer fields like Credit Limit, Posting Groups etc.

The way it can be done is to only allow them In-direct access to update the customer table. Then all new customers are not created directly in the customer table, but in the Contact table. Then they used the “Create Customer” function and the templates to Synchronize the Contact into the Customer table.

Not sure if that’s more what you’re looking for. But it’s an easy way and doesn’t require programming. And if you don’t want the subsequence changes in the Contact table to be synchronized, then it’s not that difficult to disable that functionality in the code.