How to restrict your transaction posting to back months.

Dear Folks ,

let me know how to stop to post the transaction to previous month.

that means IN General ledger setup Date ran ge

Allow posting from :01/01/09

Allow posting to : 0210109.(MM/DD/YYYT)

I ccreated a new item on 01 /15/09

I created a purchase order and post (receive & Invoice on 01/15/09)

But that key user create a transfer order on 01/10/09 (by mistakehe entred the date ) he select that item and post it.(system automatically post that one)

so when i run the inventory valuation on 01/10/09 for that item , my inventory valuation goes wrong .

so how to prevent that one sir.

Please help me .

Hi Lally,

Well as a basic rule whenever I setup a new company, then we always limit posting so that postings are only possible within the current month. Then we might have one or two of the more advanced users who are allowed to make closing posts in the previous month, but that is setup on each user.

Changing these dates are simply part of the companys month-end closing procedure.

What date is 0210109? YYYT makes no sense to me. If this is 021009 then they are allowed to post January to October, so the date is valid, they are not back posting. Otherwise look at the user setup for overriding posting dates. The GL setup is for the business, you have user specific options as well.

Also your inventory valuation is not wrong, it may appear wrong if you restrict reporting dates, but overall the valuation is correct by the dates you have posted the transactions.

Hi Lally,

Not sure, why you think you went wrong? with your above Scenario, you were not wrong just as Adam Mentioned.

There could be few possibilities if your Inventory Valuation report is showing Inconsistent Values. Did u try running the “Adjust Cost Item Entries” batch job? pls run this Batch Job and as well check the report for “Expected Cost Posting” if you have Expected Cost posting Turned On.

Which Version are you in? if anything more than Nav 4.0 SP3…Nav 5.0 and above then ensure that you have checked your “Automatic Cost Adjustment to Always” this will help you to update your Cost on a Real Time Basis.

Regards.

Reddy.

Guys,

I think you miss what Lally is actually asking…

The item is purchased (and received) jan. 15. 2009
Then a user creates and posts a transfer-order on jan. 10. 2009, but on this date there is no items in stock.

What Lally wants to know (at least that’s how i understand OP) is if you somehow can prevent this from happening.

Thanks Alexander Pallesen,

You are right.

That is what I am asking Mr. Alexxander.

Please throw some userful solution this to stop that transactions

Hi Laly,

I’m a little lost here…

There can be always cases that there is no sufficient Qty in the Inventory to Transfer between Warehouses and there can be many open Transfer Orders and then it is done once the Items are available. However, it might make a difference if you are stricly following on the Transfer Dates between warehouse.

If not, for Inventory Valuation I dont see any Issue if it falls in same month…

So, why do u want to stop users from posting back dates for Transfer Orders in same month? anyway once the posting range is locked by Finance for previous months, Transfer Orders cannot be posted to back dates.

So, as far as I understand, you have no problem or perhaps I am not able to understand you clearly.

Regards,

Reddy.

Yep again no issues with this in the monthly valuaiton.

If you post the transfer order prior to receiving the goods the system will allow this, obviously it is not good practise and can cause issues depending on the version, so I would sort out the process, or you could restrict the user to a daily posting date range [:D]

Hi Adam,

The Transfer Method worked for my client in Nav (4.0 SP3), my client had heavy warehouse activities where trucks were lined to pick the goods for Distribution and for transfers. So, many a times, we had cases when Transfer Order couldn’t go through due to insufficient stocks and was later Transferred once the Stocks were replenished and users didn’t really look into the posting date as long as it doesn’t fall to Previous Month and we had modified the report (ID-5703) “Transfer Orders” along with a field “date of Transfer” on the Form. Fortunately, my client had no problems as the posting was strictly done on a monthly basis and we never had problems in Inventory Valuation Report. So, not sure when you said "obviously it is not good practice and can cause issues depending on the version"

Can you please emphasize a little on your above Quote? guess I can still look into it and find room for Improvements.

Cheers!

Reddy

Basically it is not good practice to move goods between locations when you have yet to receive the stock. Imagine you do daily average costing per location and transfer it today and receive it in a month.

You cannot move stock if it is in bins or is lot/serial controlled, otherwise you can, unless you modify the system. It is all about control and processes really, and moving it before you have it is a pain.

What about coding something like Stockout warning, as in Sales?But such restrictions can take the business to full stop…

It is common practice, that Purchasers (actually some clerks on the WH reciept platform) can’t keep in line of entering reciepts into NAV, so physically goods exist, but NAV doesn’t “know” it yet. I had a client (supermarket chain) with fast-moving goods --dairy products for example, not to speak about confectionery, a cake has 6 hours expiry time-- they hired students to enter in-bound movement to their logistics center at nights & weekends…

While there wouldn’t be a RFID chip in every pack of chewing gum and scanners on every gate (as at WallMart, we were shown a presentation at one seminar), delivery before reciept will happen…