How to own DLL libraries

Hi, Could anybody tell me, how can I correctly register my own dll library in NF 2.60F? 1. I used regsvr32 to register my DLL 2. On my PC everything goes OK, but on others GUID error occured. Do I must export all keys+values from my registry and import those to other local PCs ? Any suggestions ? Thanks

No, just making sure the DLL file is present, and then registering it with REGSVR32 should do the trick. Make sure you are using the same version of your DLL on all machines, though, since different versions may have different GUIDs. GUID conflicts can be prevented by compiling your DLL as version-compatible with the existing version. This does imply that you cannot make any drastic changes in the method signatures of your object class(es). Check out the documentation of the application you use to compile your DLL for more information on this. Kind regards, Jan Hoek

Regsvr32 is the only correct way to register a DLL. Do NOT export all your keys and values, which will damage the registry of others! Be sure to install also all dependent DLL or OCX. E.g. In case you install a DLL “A.dll” which uses another DLL “B.dll”, be sure to register the “B.DLL” before the 1st one , “A.dll”. Also, be sure they are in the same directory, or in the path (system32, windows or winnt directories). It is not an easy job to find all dependent DLL: E.g. if you write code in VB, you also need to deploy the runtime-files. I always use a setup program (InstallShield) to deploy my DLL’s. Doing this guarantees I never miss a dependent DLL and my installations are much easier. What Jan said is also true: each time you compile, a new GUID will be generated, which is used to register the DLL in the registry. Be sure to block this option. You still can modify you code if the code is “version-compatible”, except the function-“interfaces”: function-parameters, types of return values, … In case one of these parameters is modified (change of type e.g.), you need another unique GUID, which needs another installation on all clients … Hope this was clear enough to find a solution. See ya, Jean-Marie De Smet