How to limit number of sessions

A client of us would like to give a new group of users acces to the application, this group will only occasionally make use of Navision Attain so the number of actual concurrent sessions needed is just a fraction of the actual number of users in this group. How can we limit this group of 25 uses to 5 concurrent sessions and assure that the other 30 main users have allways a session available. This client now uses native database but also whishes to use the SQL option. Peter.

You can do this very easily by modifiying CodeUnit 1, but…he hastily adds The problem is how to know if that user has actually logged out. You need to count how many users are already logged in, and thus anyone that discounnected with out logging out will still be visible as on line. By the way, I assume you are doing this to have your client avoid paying money to MS. But please rememebr that you signed a contract with Navision that says you won’t write code to allow your client to circumvent bying additional granules. In any case, it can be done, but be prepared for support issues that will cost far more over the years than just buying additional licences.

I think it is possible. Even you can’t customise such things.

quote:

Originally posted by David Singleton
You can do this very easily …

David, when I start the client and connect to the database without logging in, I am ‘using’ a session. Here I am still in the login window and CU1 is not ‘in use’ yet. So I am not able to control the maximum number of a special group. Quite often, a user ‘double-klick’s’ a ‘link’ to the Navision client and opens 2 sessions without using the second one. Kind regards Walter

Absolutely Walter, this is one of the big issues, but it was not part of the original question. I think we all know that this issue can only be resolved by user training. Also you need to look at the but…he hastily adds part of my reply. [;)]

quote:

Also you need to look at the but…he hastily adds part of my reply. [;)]

I have read that. But the problem is not

quote:

…how to know if that user has actually logged out.

The problem is still how to know that a user has connected. However, no poper solution for this at all.

Thanks for reactions so far, David, Walter is right, I could check hte user at login and maybe somehow track the user who exit (heartbeat form CU1 call(s) to an external OCX). But the users are allready using a session. Is there anyway to realise this by installing two servers (one database). Native would be possible by using session commandline but option bot how about SQL? An other option is a wrapper around finsql.exe who counts users before starting fin.exe, but then there is more installation trouble etc… Any other ideas ? Peter.