how to kill sessions in navision financials 2.60

hi i am using navision financial 2.60. We are having a fifteen user licence. Some times the server shows user logged in with USER ID as 'Untilteld '. I had a strange problem, some time it shows more than 10 USER as untitled and their log in time is same for all. but in reality there are 3 or 4 used logged in at a time. I did not find any way how to kill these unwanted sessions. thanks harikesh

I have encountered this before and term these sessions as ‘PHANTOM SESSIONS’. I believe these sessions occur due to users not being logged off the Navision server properly and therefore can be ‘killed’ by resetting the Navision service (ie: stop and start the service). On the SQL option there is a tool to ‘unwanted’ sessions but unfortunately this cannot be done on a native database. [V] Hope this helps.

hi Connull thanks. Now we are managing by stopping the service, but this is very trouble some as we are connected to remote locations through citrix. So it is not possible for us to restart the service frequently. I wanted an alterative to this. thaks Harikesh

Hi Harikesh, There are some registry settings that control when the TCP/IP software on the server closes down stalled sessions. If you do a search in this forum for “keepalivetime”, you will find more information [;)] I have noticed these sessions too, but came to the conclusion that they represent sessions where the user has not properly identified himself yet. Once the user has logged in completely, these sessions disappear. Stalled sessions, where the client did not log out properly, usually remain listed with the regular user name. Of course, this is just my personal view gained the hard way [:)]

Hi, I’d just like to confirm Heinz’s comment about ‘untitled’ sessions. These ususally occur because a user has openned Navision (And is therefore connected to the database), but has the ‘Logon’ box up. Users do not usually realise that ‘user session’ actually means the number of sessions connected to the Navision server, not the number of users who have logged on. The lession is: Only open Navision if you are going to log on and use it - Don’t leave it minimized in the background ‘just in case’. (Incidentally, if you work for a company where it is sometimes hard to get on to Navision due to competition for user sessions, you can “reserve” yourself one using this feature in this way! [}:)]) Incidentally, if other postings to MBS Online are correct, one of the new features of Navision 3.70 will be a session killer! [:D]

quote:

Originally posted by EBloom
I’d just like to confirm Heinz’s comment about ‘untitled’ sessions.

Thanks. [8D]

quote:

Incidentally, if other postings to MBS Online are correct, one of the new features of Navision 3.70 will be a session killer! [:D]

Hm, I guess I’ll change my mind about this upgrade thingy [:D]

Harikesh, If it isn’t practical to stop and restart the service, then the only option you have, is this mysterious ‘keepalivetime’ setting on the server. I had heard of it before, but I can’t tell you how it works or where to set it. Try searching for other threads on this subject. Good luck.

The session killer in 3.70 is for the SQL Server version only.

Thanks Robert, Shame it is only in SQL - There have been free SQL session killers available as downloads written by Navision consultants for a while. Looks like MBS has just followed in everyone’s wake - again.

I wrote the SQL Session Killer back in July 2000 (3 years before Navision AS [:D]) And since then I’ve received a lot of e-mails from people asking me for a “Native” Session Killer. Well if there’s a real need for such a tool I might give some thought on that one.

Hello Tarek, I think this would be one of the top five features I get asked by users if Navision has, that it currently does not possess. A native Navision session killer would be very welcome! [:D]

Hi Tarek, That native session killer would definitely come in handy. I don’t understand why MBS just created a session killer for SQL Server and not native?! [:(!]

Hi Tarek Demiati will u give me some idea how to proceed forward to write code, for killing sessions for Navision Attain Native Database Harikesh

Hello, Ways i found to kill these “phantom” session are: On Citrix, Tse, Canaveral, … : launch TSADMIN.EXE, for each connected user, i control the process for the session. If for a user i find two process “fin.exe”, i kill the one which have the higher ID. On computer : i use a software to control the process running on distant computer, and i kill the fin.exe which have the less CPU time (usually 0.00 for phantom session).

Tarek, the session killer allows you to do a DELETE on the Session table in Navision, which is pretty easy from C/AL. How does your work? I guess it connects separately to SQL Server and runs a KILL SQL statement? Patrick, because SQL Server already has the ability to kill a session and it is easy to utlize that from within C/SIDE, and Navision Server would need this ability to be programmed into DBM.DLL. Any features that have a programming cost in the database code fall down the food chain. Same reason for transaction log support, record-level locking, replication, utilizing multiprocessors, database tools, etc. Its all for free (development wise) with SQL Server.

Hello Robert : Yes my session killer connects to SQL server and runs a Kill command by passing the Session ID from the Navision Session Table. I thought the Session Table was READ ONLY (well, at least until 2.60) Now, if you could do a DELETE on it now then this should work on both Native and SQL ? Can you do a Session.DELETE(SessionID); in Attain 3.60 ??? Dont have a 3.60 handy so I cant try, who can …

quote:

Originally posted by robertc
Tarek, the session killer allows you to do a DELETE on the Session table in Navision, which is pretty easy from C/AL. How does your work? I guess it connects separately to SQL Server and runs a KILL SQL statement?

Nop. The Session table is still read only. /Lars

Do you reckon that there is a market for such a tool if reasonably priced ? Let’s say if such a tool was nicely put together and supported and sold for 100 Euros (~100 USD) the licence, would you have many of your customers using Native who would be interested purchasing such a tool ?

Hi all (specifically Tarek), a tool that closes unused sessions in a native fdb database would be VERY useful. The one I have seen is just checking for user activities (mouse move or key downs), and is to coarse to be used universally. If someone runs a periodic activity, that will run for i.e. 15 minutes (a lot of them do), he/she would be quite annoyed if the Navision client has shut down when he/she returns from the coffe break. What is needed is a program/service that checks for any activity relating to fin.exe and does not close the program if it is running unattended. Go ahead Tarek, do it! You might become a millionaire at last. Pelle

Hej Pelle, I doubt that you could become a millionaire with such a niche and tiny market, the best I could hope for is to make a few bucks (basically pocket money!) out of my spare time programming. Best Regards, Tarek