How to handle very long forms?

Hey guys,

I just made a new table, it’s got about 150 fields for data. I went to make a tabular form to enter this data, and it’s all under the “general” tab - however, when I go to run the form, I only see about 50 fields before it just gets cut off.

It’s rather odd, there’s no scroll-bar on the side, it appears to be literally cut off. Is there a maximum height for these forms? Or do I have to do something to get a scroll bar?

Do you need a Card form or Tabular Form?

I’m sorry, it’s a Card form. My mistake.

I thought I’d show you guys some pictures to demonstrate what’s happening.

I made the window smaller just so it would fit on everyone’s screens, but can see what I’m trying to show. There’s a substantial scrollbar on the side, and you can tell from the size of the scroll bar that it will go all the way down.

Now if I Run the form

:

See how the scrollbar stops at that point, and you can’t see any fields beyond Typical Insertion Loss? I just don’t understand what causes this, in the Design page it clearly shows them all lined up.

Is this just some limitation of the classic client?

Not sure of limitation but why cant you place them 2 way horizontally

and you can group them move to other tabs also in form…

I wanted to do two horizontal tabs, but I can’t figure out how to do that. There’s a little white backdrop behind the fields, and if I move the fields over they won’t have that.

I don’t want to have to do a second “tab” if I don’t have to.

You can increase the white background by dragging it right as we do in excel by selecting at right end.

or you can increase it using table box properties also.

On your first image, design mode

Click on the Parametric data. (which will select whole Tabcontrol)

Click F4 which will open properties

Select width and increase it…

I noticed that. But the height is also set as a really huge number, so how come I can’t scroll?

Created a new form with 180 fields as you did…yes you are right…

it is showing only first 49 fields…

May be its a limitation…

Any else have any ideas? I just find it weird that in Design view it shows them all, and the height is set to that big number, but yet the form itself won’t run like that.

May be you can create a List form also, just give a try…

Just a thought Danny … any time you have a repeating block of fields as you do here (Rev 1 … Rev n), it’s a pretty good sign that you should probably normalize your schema a bit more. These repeating blocks of fields suggest that they are really a separate record that should be related back to the primary record, and not something that should be stored within the primary record. A good example to think of is Address blocks (Street 1, Street 2, City, State, ZIP). If you look at the Ship-to Address table, you’ll see what I’m suggesting.

I know it’s not directly on topic, but you did ask about other ideas.

Got it like this for now - I figured out that if you don’t put tabs on the form, you can insert column breaks so I just split it up so they all fit on one page. (At least if your screen resolution is 1920x1080, which most of our computers are)

Ultimately, most of our users aren’t using Classic client, we all use RTC. I just thought I’d make the new tables usable in both. Currently we have all 10 of our allowed pages in use, so I have to wait on our NAV partner to order us some more before I can make the RTC equivalent.

You dont need to do this much work in Pages.

You can simply create a Card type page from wizard and select all fields…it will automatically split the fields into 2 columns and all the fields will be shown in page…

Hi Danny,

Did you ever find a solution to your problem? If you did, would you mind sharing it with us and if any of the posted answers helped you on the way, then please verify them.

Thank you.

No, I never did… I ended up just redoing the form so it had several columns instead of just one long one.